Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Death Star Cake and LOST Cookies

I've known Meghan for a while now, we met through the Richmond Bridal Association, which is a professional group for local wedding vendors. She had worked as an event coordinator for a few different wedding venues, including the Richmond Country Club and an extremely upscale hotel downtown. She recently started her own consulting firm (OFD Consulting)that works with wedding vendors, so she knew that when she got married people would be expecting big things. I don't think they really knew what they were in for, though.

Meghan said that she knew people would have a certain expectation of what her wedding would look like, so she wanted to shake things up a little.

Meghan and her fiance Travis are, like myself, big LOST fans. I made him a LOST birthday cake one year...They're so into it, they got the DVDs and watch the old episodes to look for clues to try to figure out what the heck is going on. I personally can hardly keep the characters names straight (I call them things like "Old Smirky," "The Hobbit," "Mr. and Mrs. Boring," and "The Lawnmower Man") but my inability to remember names doesn't make me love the show any less. To make a long story short, Meghan asked me if I would make LOST hatch cookies for their wedding favors, and of course I jumped at that!





I spent two days working on these little babies...

I had to make a custom cookie cutter, and I used a combination of black candy melts and black royal icing for the designs. After thinking about the best way to do all of them so that I wouldn't kill my piping hand, I finally just gave up and piped all of the lines on them freehand. I didn't want to use the edible images because I don't personally like the way they taste. If anyone has a better way to do this kind of thing feel free to email me with suggestions! I like the way they turned out, though, it was pretty funny to see all of them lying in the kitchen drying.






I also like the idea of all of these black cookies being handed out to the guests in nice little cellophane bags tied with a pretty ribbon.



The other part of this wedding that was going to be a surprise for the guests was the groom's cake (I think it was really the bride's cake, but that's another issue). We had joked for years that Meghan wasn't just a LOST geek, she was also a Star Wars geek, and that when she got married, I was going to make her a Death Star cake. So yes, I did. She did have a traditional wedding cake too, but the Death Star was my job. Here's the result:
This thing was about 18" tall, and I delivered it VERY CAREFULLY. Cakes usually go in the back of the car, but this one rode next to me in the front seat, with my right hand hovering over it. If I had to stop suddenly I don't know what I would have done, really, (Grab it? Smash my hand against it?) but at least it made it there in one piece.

(For any cakers who are interested, the little Tie Fighters and X-Wings are made from gumpaste and chocolate.)

As I left after delivering the cake, Ric, who's the Catering Director at Richmond Country Club, was considering going home to get his Darth Vader piggy bank that talks and moves his arm when you put coins in. He thought that putting the bank next to the cake with a bowl of coins for guests to add to it would be a nice touch, and I agree. (Just the fact that he has a bank like that is a little disturbing, come to think of it. But totally awesome anyway.)

Congratulations to Meghan and Travis, who are at their reception as I write this...I hope they enjoyed their cookies and their cake, and that they have a long and happy life watching LOST reruns together!


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.biz and http://www.acaketoremember.etsy.com/

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Rylan said...

The cake looks fabulous--perfectly round!

The cookies are also gorgeous, it looks VERY VERY time consuming to make--but in the end, it's definitely worth the time.

Kara said...

Ric did go back to get his bank, too...I'll get one of the wedding guests to put the picture up!