Saturday, January 9, 2010

Jack Daniels Birthday Cake


I had a request for a Jack Daniels birthday cake (the design, not the flavor). Since the logo is copyrighted, I called the Jack Daniels company and had a nice conversation with someone in their legal department about reproducing it.


Yes, you're supposed to do this before you use someone's trademarked logos. And yes, I do make the calls, so call me a sucker, but I like to do things the right way.


Anyway, I got permission to do the cake, and here it is...
I had thought about how I was going to do this for a while, and at first I thought it would be easier to just paint it on a piece of white fondant using black food coloring. I didn't know if that would be as precise as I wanted it to look, though, so I decided to do white lettering on black fondant instead.
(I don't like edible images, which would have been the fastest way to do this. I don't think that adding a layer of rice paper to melt into the icing enhances the flavor of the cake. Just my preference.)
I covered the cake with black fondant, and applied the lettering by hand. That involved rolling out gumpaste through a pasta
machine and cutting the letters out individually with an Exacto knife. I had to leave out some of the detail but I think that it
looks pretty good.
I hope that carrot cake goes well
with Jack Daniels...I have a feeling that I know what they're going to be drinking at this party.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.biz and http://www.acaketoremember.etsy.com/



 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

No comments: