Friday, February 26, 2010

Cake Design--Black and White Stripey Cake

Here's the latest display cake that I made...I guess that "stripey" is the technical term for this pattern. My husband looked at it and said "Zebra!" but it isn't zebra stripes, obviously. The stripes are irregular and are applied onto the fondant slightly unevenly, though, so it does give the illusion of being more random than it is.



The orange flowers were made with a peony cutter, but were meant to just be a splash of color. I don't know which view should be the "front" of the cake (every cake has a back), what do you think? This for the front:






Or this:
This cake could also be done with pearlized or white stripes if you're not into the contrast and are looking for something a little more traditional color-wise.





 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

the second photo as the front! thats my vote anyway!

OFD Consulting LLC said...

Oooh darn- I'm going to be different and say the first photo. Well done though, seriously. What an awesome looking cake!

Sandi said...

Either way your cakes are beautiful! And so are the rest of the cakes!

curiegas said...

I like the second photo as well.

cakesbybarbara said...

I like the way the stripes flow in the view on the 2nd photo.

Kara said...

Okay, here's the story...The first photo was what I had originally thought would be the front, but after looking at it I think the second one works better. (Sorry Meghan!) I wanted to see what other people thought, so I think I was right abotu the second view.

SweetThingsTO said...

That is so creative! Love both views! I think its a perfect cake to be in the center of a room - striking design and different from all angles.

ThatGirl said...

Beautiful Cake. You can collect the Sahm Project Sunshine Award given to bloggers. I pass it on and you may pick it up at http://thatgirlsbathandbody.blogspot.com

Jamie said...

This is fabulous! I vote for the first photo....but either way, I've never seen anything like it, very eye catching!