Saturday, May 29, 2010

Baking Tools- Spatulas Are Making Me Mad.


If you're on my facebook page, you know that I needed a few new spatulas recently. I bought some when I was at the mecca of American consumerism, Walmart. Well, I guess that Walmart gets the cheapest type of spatulas to keep their prices rolling back, because the ones that I got were total junk.

The brand was Farberware, which is a good company, but whatever idiot designed this particular spatula is, well, an idiot. The handle has a two-piece design, so as soon as you put any stress at all on it, it flexes enough to make the little piece that inserts into the larger piece snap off completely. I had bought three of them, and I broke the first two within minutes of each other. The first broke off while I was scraping a bowl of cake batter, and the second broke in a bowl of icing. I still have the third one, but I have to be really careful with it, and I'm only going to use it until I can buy some better ones, then I'll throw it out so that it can join it's brothers in the trash.


(I did email Farberware to tell them that their spatulas stink, and they said that they wouldn't refund my money, but they'd send me another spatula if I sent them the broken ones back...uh, I threw them out already, and no. I don't need more defective-design spatulas, thank you anyway.)


So I was still in need of some more spatulas. I was at Michael's and saw that Wilton is now selling some. I bought one to try it out, since it had a metal handle that didn't look like it was going to snap in half anytime soon. It didn't snap in half, but every time it hit the edge of the mixing bowl it gave me a jolt of metal on metal. In addition, since there's absolutely NO give at all in the handle, it was really awkward and made my wrist hurt.

So I'm still on the lookout for some good spatulas. These are the ones that I was looking at online, and I think I'll just go buy them now. One-piece handles, silicone, perfect. they'd better not break under the weight of cake batter...

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

6 comments:

veron said...

I use Le Crueset, the give of the spatula is perfect for the stiff batter of the macarons, only problem with that is I always separate the wooden handle from the head whenever I wash them and I don't put the wooden handle in the dishwasher. Another option, but it might break your arm is the Matfer Bourgeat spatulas available here:
http://www.culinarycookware.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=spatula&x=0&y=0&p=1
I have some of them that you can try first to see if you like them.

Jane said...

Hi,
I love how honest you are about your experience with bad spatulas! I know just what you mean. I've tried some real losers, and have been as angry as you were with those Farberware monstrosities. These days, though, I am completely addicted to the KitchenAid spatulas that have wooden handles and rubber/silicone blades. They are pretty sturdy, feel good in your hand, and they tend to last a long time if you take care of them (don't let them sit around in soapy water for a long time, for example, and don't put them in the dishwasher). The rubber blade part can be pulled off, too, so you can clean that part separately too. They're not always easy to find in stores, so whenever I see them for sale I buy a couple because I'm afraid they're going to go the way of the dinosaur. It seems I find them most reliably at Kohl's, though I've also found them on sale now and then at TJ Maxx, and Home Goods, discount places like that.

Anyway, here's a URL so you can see what they look like (you can also find them in other colors sometimes like pink, orange, black)--

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitchendining/brandsforkitchen/kitchenaid/gadgetsutensils/PRD~367721/KitchenAid+Cook+for+the+Cure+Silicone+Spatula+Set.jsp

They come in two sizes, the larger of which is really good for scraping the sides of large mixer bowls.

I hope you find the spatula of your dreams. I figure, for a cook/baker, having a spatula you really like is a lot like having a favorite scalpel if you're a surgeon, or a favorite pen if you're a writer.

Good luck in your quest!

Jane :)

Kara said...

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. I went ahead and bought the Orka ones, but I'll refer back to the links you gave me if they turn out to be losers. I think it's funny that we all have such specific ideas about something as lowly as a rubber spatula, but Jane is right, it's kind of an extension of your arm when you're working. The wrong one can slow you down and make the job more difficult.

Joanna said...

The best spatulas I've ever had have been Pampered Chef spatulas. I've had some for over 7 years and I'm still using them!

Audrey said...

I get the commercial ones from Sams Club. They're white, they're cheap, and when they start to wear out it's easy to get new ones. Mine have lasted years!

FrostedFantasies said...

I have to agree with Joanna! I fell in love with my Pampered Chef spatula the first time I used it! Now, I won't use any other one. Which reminds me, I need to buy another one (or two)!And no, I don't work for them. My sis-in-law does the parties and she got me mine 2 years ago! Just love it...try it out sometime!