Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Clown Vase

I went to the antiques mall this past weekend, just because I enjoy looking at old junk. The last time I was there a couple of months ago I had seen a clown head vase, and I hadn't stopped thinking about how creepy it was. So of course, when I was there I had to look to see if it had been sold, and it hadn't, so I bought it.

These head vases are usually in the shape of beautiful ladies wearing fancy hats. I do have one of those, but this one was far more interesting.

I have several questions about this particular vase. First, why would anyone think it was a good idea to make a vase that looked like this? Were they trying to work out their own deep-rooted fear of clowns? Second, where would you display this item? Did people put these out as part of their regular decor? And third, what should I name him? My daughter, who refused to let me show her the vase after seeing it once, suggested "OOglay" but I don't think so.

I'll keep thinking about whether I should name him or not. He might just end up being nameless, but something so awesomely bizarro deserves a name. For now I've put him in my office next to my Tippi Hedren Barbie . They can keep each other company while I ponder...

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

7 comments:

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

In my spare time away from caking I own a website where I sell these headvases: www.ladiesofthehouse.com

You probably know these were originally made to hold flowers and it was very popular to give these away to people that were ill in the hospital. Garden clubs back in the 60's would buy them by the case and fill with flowers at their meetings to give to people in the community. There was a whole line of them made in a clown theme for children. Some are cuter than others, but they do make a unique display when all together.

If you didn't pay much for him and don't worry about breakage, they do make great toothbrush and pencil holders.

Kara said...

I wondered if you were going to see this post...I've seen your lady head vase website before. Interesting about these vases being made with kids in mind, since my kids both find it really creepy!

Promise said...

I will love him and hug him and squeeze him and name him....George

Kara said...

I think I'm going to name him Stanley...I can't name him George because I love George Harrison so it just wouldn't be right! I don't know anybody named Stanley.

rghoward100 said...

I think "Hello, Little Girl..." or "Yes, I have registered with my Local Police Department". Maybe Rudolph with that red nose. It's hysterical that you bought it just because you thought it was SO ugly. I don't remember people being afraid of clowns when I was little, but lots of people are now. I think that's Steven King's fault with that scary book with the clown in the storm drain.

Kara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kara said...

You're probably right about the Stephen King connection, but a lot of toddlers are scared of clowns, and I hope that they're not being read S.K. books for bedtime stories! I do like "hello little girl" as a name, it adds to the creepiness.