Monday, May 24, 2010

Wedding Cakes- Be Prepared


I delivered a wedding cake this past weekend, and when I walked into the reception site I saw something that made me say "oh, no." It was a Wilton cake topper in a box.

Now, I've seen a lot of cake toppers, and I knew that this one was one of the type that are screwed in to the box. I guess they do that to keep people from stealing them, but unless you have a screwdriver, you're not going to get it out of the box to put it on the cake. Brides don't know about it, so they leave them at the reception sites for me without realizing that it's going to be held captive by the packaging. Of course, I didn't have a screwdriver with me.

After trying every butter knife, pocket knife, key and pair of scissors available, I drove to the nearest gas station convenience store, where they did not sell screwdrivers anymore (yes, they used to). So back to the reception site, where the nail clippers and tiny scissors that they DID sell at the convenience store didn't work either. A woman at the reception site (I'm not sure if she was a member of the wedding party or not) was finally able to dig up a screwdriver, just at the same time that the DJ said he had one, and my friend Sebastian from Clover Forest Plantation, who was catering the reception, showed up and said that of course he had one too.

So when it rains it pours, but the topper was finally removed from the box and placed on the cake. I'm going to add "screwdriver set" to my list of things that I should take with me to set up cakes. It will save some time the next time I'm faced with one of those toppers, anyway.



 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

7 comments:

Jamie! said...

Bwahaha! You're too kind, I woulda left it there.

Dawn said...

Gorgeous cake, Kara! Now, does this mean I should add screwdriver to my emergency kit, lol?

Jennywenny said...

*shudder*

You always bring new things to light that I'd never even considered!

Thankfully the next 3 weddings I'm doing dont have toppers so I dont have to worry. I'm always nervous of them falling over or something.

Nice cake, scary topper.

Kara said...

Hahaha! Leaving it on the table would have been the next step! I'm definitely getting a screwdriver set to keep in my car from now on. I run into these toppers every now and then and I never remember to bring a screwdriver with me, obviosuly.

SweetThingsTO said...

That really sucks - turning a delivery into a scramble. Good idea to keep one handy! I always ask to have any cake toppers prior - I don't like any surprises with size, weight, design, etc.

The cake is really lovely!

weddingcakes said...

wow,i wanna eat it !!

Jenniffer said...

This just happened to us, with the same exact topper! Luckily we keep a screwdriver in the car. Whew!