Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wedding Horror Stories- This One "Takes the Cake"

I heard this from another baker, who graciously gave me permission to use it here. (We bakers love hearing horror stories about wedding cakes, we just can't look away from the train wreck.)

The story is short but sweet. When the cake cutting was done at the wedding reception, guests started going over to the cake table to get a piece of cake. They were greeted at the cake table by the bridesmaids, who'd been put there to distribute the cake --For a price.

The bride was charging the guest $2.50 a serving if they wanted dessert. No cash, no cake.

Now I don't know how many people opted to pay for their wedding cake, but I thought this was one of the worst etiquette moments I'd ever heard. A cash bar is bad enough, but a cash cake? You learn something new every day!


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

7 comments:

Charmayne Woo said...

Oh dear! This really does take the cake as it were. Talk about bad etiquette.

BellaLovesPink said...

That's ridiculous and rude. Guests are already buying the bride and groom a gift and in most cases, traveling to come celebrate their day. I'm so disgusted by this. Unreal.

The Cakerator said...

What!! You got to be kidding me!

Yuma Cake! said...

What?!?

Kara said...

Isn't this horrible? But if you think about it, it isn't too far away from a cash bar...So brides, if you're thinking about a cash bar, think again!

SweetThingsTO said...

No way! I can't believe that... I'm guessing they didn't have a bomboniere

Debi Brim said...

When I hear things like this, I can only wonder, "How were they raised that they think this is acceptable?"