Saturday, June 26, 2010

Isomalt Flower Cake

I'm going to be at Richmond Magazine's Artful Wedding Event at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts this Monday. Since the museum has a Tiffany glass exhibit up right now, I wanted to try to make a cake that used some kind of stained glass-looking technique on it.







St. Paul's Episcopal church in Richmond is where my family goes to church (when we're not being too lazy, that is). It has a beautiful collection of Tiffany windows, and I found one that had a bunch of colored flowers in it. ("The Kiss of Charity" window). I thought that the flowers would be something that I could do without a whole lot of experience, so that was the basis for the flowers on the cake.


I decided to pull out the isomalt that I'd bought to make some edible gems to see if I could figure out how to make it look like Tiffany glass. Since I have no idea what I'm doing with pulled sugar, this was totally trial and error on my part. My equipment consisted of the isomalt, a heatproof , and my hands. Luckily, I seem to have a pretty high tolerance for heat, because I only scorched myself once or twice and never really got a real burn.


I poured the isomalt onto a mat, waited until it seemed to have cooled enough to work with but not too much to stiffen up, then pulled it off the mat and pulled it into the shape that I wanted. For the flowers I poured it onto the mat, then stretched it over a morning glory silicone mold.


The color came from regular liquid food coloring that I added to the isomalt after I poured it onto the mat, then swirled through the hot liquid. That way I got a combination of color, as opposed to one solid color per piece. Tiffany glass has multiple colors in each piece, so it gives the glass objects more dimension.


I really love the way this technique looks, so now I need to get some more practice in sugar work. Maybe I'll invest in some gloves for next time.

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Karen Ferguson said...

Oh Kara, this is absolutely stunning! Those sugar roses are just lovely!

faithy, the baker said...

I agree with Karen, it is just STUNNING!! I