Saturday, July 3, 2010

Brush Embroidery Wedding Cake


Last weekend I did a wedding cake that had brush embroidery on it, which is something that I don't do very often. The cake was based on what I believe (if my memory is correct) was an original Gail Watson design.

Brush embroidery is done with icing that's piped on in the outline of a shape, then dragged with a damp paintbrush from the edge into the center of the shape. It's usually done on fondant using royal icing, but I've seen it done with buttercream. With buttercream it won't look the same, though, it doesn't drag the same way that the royal icing will. It can be done with different colored icings, but this one was done with all white on a blue background.

The first step is to pipe the outline of the shape. I used a number 3 tip for this.
You then take a small paintbrush that's damp, not wet, and drag the icing from the outside of the outline toward the center of the shape.



I wanted more texture, since this was all white, so I went back and overpiped the shape again, then dragged it a little more.



This is a pretty technique and is nice for cakes that are a little "softer" in appearance. It's good for flowers and leaves, and if you use different colors you can get a nice watercolor effect that also has a little texture to it.

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

8 comments:

Jennywenny said...

Wow, I love this! Another technique I'd love to learn! I've seen it before, must give it a try!

Crafty Sugar said...

Beautiful cake,love the color!

faithy, the baker said...

gorgeous!

Jamie! said...

Gourgeous Kara!! I have an order for a BE cake in 2011...looking forward to it. I hope it comes out this nicely!

Anonymous said...

that's beautiful kara! i would love to get an order for one too :D
cindy

deliciouscakedesign said...

A stunningly beautiful cake, such intricate work!

Kara said...

Thanks, everyone. I want to do one that has more color in it, but it would have to be for myself because nobody's ordered that type of design recently. :(

Eva Farragher said...

I do mine slightly differently, but it gives the same lovely soft effect. I guess I was taught by an old-timer so maybe its an old-fashioned technique? Anyway, I do the outer lines, and let that dry. Then I pipe another line just inside that first, dry line, and brush the wet line in towards the center. I have another one of these coming up in a week or two, so I'm looking forward to the fun again :-)