Monday, September 27, 2010

Billy Squier Shouldn't Have Lowered His Standards

I was listening to some awesome 80's rock the other day, and some Billy Squier came on. (I was never a real fan, but I have to say that "Everybody Wants You" does rock.)  I started wondering if the mental image I had of what he looked like was right, since I had a vague idea but I wasn't sure. When I got home I looked his picture up online, and he did look pretty much like what I thought.

I noticed that he was from the Boston area, and since I used to live there I clicked on his bio, which mentioned that his video for "Rock Me Tonight" was pretty much considered to be one of the worst videos ever made, and that he has said that it ruined his career. Naturally, I couldn't pass THAT up, and sure enough, it's pretty horrifying. I can't believe that someone pitched the idea, someone else choreographed it, and they convinced poor old Billy to dance around a bedroom in a pink tank top.

You may wonder why I'm bringing this up on a cake blog, but I think that it illustrates a point about your business. When you lower your standards (and this had to be a lowering of someone's standards), bad things can happen. If you're in business for yourself and a client comes to you with a request that you don't think reflects your value as a professional, there's no reason that you have to take that client on. Even if it's someone who's already booked you, if a request that they make is so bizarre that you don't want to do it, you shouldn't.

Some people go by the idea that a client should always get what they want, and I do believe that to a certain extent. However, if someone is requesting something that isn't going to reflect the quality of your work, you'll be doing everyone a favor by saying that you can't do it. You can do this in a diplomatic way if they're a current client, or by just turning the job down if they haven't hired you yet. You'll be protecting the reputation of your business, and will also be preventing yourself from ending up dancing around in a pink tank top (metaphorically, of course).


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond, VA.
 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it, but I loved that video when it first came out. I thought the tank-top-tearing thing was super-sexy. Ha ha. Oh well, so much for my adolescent taste.
I know that things aren't going so well for Billy now. When I was in Kansas recently, they were having a hard time giving away tickets to his concert in Horton, Kansas (the tiny town my mother is from, of all places). That's bad.
Amy

Kara said...

His music is still good as far as I can tell, but I think that people can't get that video out of their heads...

The Cakerator said...

Well said

Anonymous said...

i always wondered what became of him. however, i remember david lee roth used to wear crazy stuff like the pink spandex pants and ripped up shirts and it didn't seem to hurt his career...

you make and excellent point kara! as the saying goes "don't get down in the mud with the pigs because you'll get muddy (and stinky!) and only the pigs love it."
cindy/cindy's cakery

Kara said...

Heh heh, yes, there was a lot of spandex involved in DLR's costumes.

Anonymous said...

Spandex is one thing, but the dancing in that video is totally.... I can't even think of a word. Goofy? Silly? Uncool? It's still a mystery why I didn't think so at the time.
Amy