Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ladyfingers Are Pretty $%&^$ Hard To Find

I had to make a tiramisu (see the last post) and I needed some ladyfingers. Simple, common ladyfingers. No big deal, right? WRONG! I went to four different stores and not a ladyfinger in sight! Plenty of nasty old biscotti, FILLED ladyfinger-type cookies, etc., but no real ones. (I later found out that they sell them at a pasta shop down the street from me, ugh!)

There are soft ladyfingers and crispy ones, and I needed the crispy ones, which will hold up when dipped in the espresso for layering in the tiramisu.

So I went home and had to make ladyfingers. They're easy to make, it's basically a piped genoise batter, but you do have to watch the baking time if it's humid. I baked them then ended up putting them back into a slow oven to dry out some more. They were nice and crispy, but after a couple of days they were back to being softer. Still crisp but slightly softer. Don't they look purty?

Here's a link to a recipe for ladyfingers in case you can't find them where you are!



 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Maree (Sweeter than Sugar) said...

They're known as savoiardi biscuits here in Australia, if that helps. I grew up making tiramisu with them and dipping the leftovers in my tea. Very yummy.

Congrats Kara for the blog's birthday. Yours is one of the few that I read straight away, the rest get filed to read later... Don't stop baking and blogging :)

Kara said...

Why, thank you!

The savoiardi name sound much nicer than "ladyfingers", too.