Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Grandmother's Yeast Rolls

My mother passed away a few year ago, and one of the things that I brought back from her house was her old 1965 edition Fannie Farmer cookbook. I hadn't really looked at it until my Mother-in-law gave me a really old cookbook recently, and I started thinking about making some of the recipes from that to see what they'd be like. I'll be doing that and writing about it in the near future, but today I wanted to share the recipe that I found in my mother's cookbook.

proofed rolls
She had written "Grandma K's yeast rolls" in the front of the cookbook, and a basic outline of the recipe. My grandmother died this past year, so it was nice to make one of her recipes that I'd found in my mother's cookbook. When I looked at the recipe I thought that it was like Sally Lunn bread, and after comparing the recipe to another one for that, it was very similar. Since the inhabitants of my house are all a bunch of bread hogs, I doubled the recipe.

The dough that it made was fairly heavy, and didn't have much of a stretch to it when I was forming the rolls before proofing them. Considering the amount of butter in the dough, that made sense. I made the rolls on the large side, and I think that it would have been better to do them slightly smaller because they were pretty dense with a very tight crumb, but there were no complaints when they were being eaten at dinner. My husband came home late, and took one to eat. After tasting it he said "Kara, these rolls are ridiculously good!" I didn't tell him that they were probably so good because of the high-fat, high-sugar content...Why ruin his good time?

Ready to eat!
Here's the recipe, and have fun making (and eating) them!

Grandma K's Yeast Rolls

1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 t. salt

Scald the above. Put in a bowl to cool to lukewarm. Beat two eggs and add to the mixture in the bowl. Dissolve 2 pkgs yeast in 1/4 cup water, and add to the bowl. Add flour until it won't stick to your hands (I estimated about 6 cups). Knead, let rise. Bake at 375 degrees.

My modifications: I heated the milk and beat the first four ingredients in the mixer bowl but didn't scald the milk. I mixed this in a 7 quart Cuisinart and doubled the recipe. I got a total of 24 large rolls out of the doubled recipe, but if you did normal-sized rolls it would probably yield about 48 regular rolls.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Rememebr LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA

Print Friendly and PDF
 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'll have to try this recipe in my new KitchenAid mixer. Do you know what scalding the milk is supposed to accomplish?
Amy

Kara said...

I looked this up to make sure I got it right...They used to scald milk (heat it until it started to bubble, about 180 degrees) to kill the enzymes that made it spoil. Since milk today is pasteurized, you don't need to do that. Some people think that scalding will encourage the yeast action, so they still scald the milk, but you can also heat the milk to about 110 degrees to accomplish that same thing, which is what I did. http://www.kitchensavvy.com/journal/2005/05/scalding_milk.html

Kara said...

Another note to Amy--Remember when our kids all kept coming back to get seconds and thirds and fourths on the rolls I made for Thanksgiving one year? That was Sally Lunn bread, which is the recipe that's very similar to this one.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember that, but I believe it. Sofia especially is a HUGE fan of bread (especially good bread). I've only recently managed to convince her to put something inside her "sandwich" at lunch. For a few years there, she took just bread to school for lunch.
By the way, did you use all-purpose flour?
Amy

Kara said...

Yes, just regular AP flour