Saturday, September 18, 2010

Painting On Wedding Cakes

This was a wedding cake week that I enjoyed, since I got to paint on a couple of them. Painting cakes is always fun.

The ribbon at the base of the tiers on this cake was designed after the paper pattern that the couple was using on their invitations and other paper items. The bride wanted the design on a ribbon at the base of the tiers, but on a purple background. I applied a purple fondant band at the base of tiers, then I cut out the flower shapes from a lighter purple fondant. I attached the flowers to the darker band, then painted some of them with food color to match the colors on the paper. After that I went back with darker purple and painted in some vines, and also used white food coloring to add detail to the flowers and leaves.

To cut these out I used an exacto knife...in case anyone was wondering.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember  LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA.

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What all did you use to paint them? as in type of food coloring and liquifier? I hear vodka is best but I have been to chicken to try it..Some say its best to use the powder colors...

Kara said...

I used vodka and both paste colors and airbrush color. I haven't ever used the powder colors dissolved, but the crystal colors would probably work because they dissolve pretty well.

Anonymous said...

Kara the band work is gorgeous!

Do i look like a blog stalker now with all these comments or what?! But that's what I get for not checking your blog regularly- I missed these fabulous cakes of art.