Saturday, October 9, 2010

Baking Can Be Hazardous To Your Health

One of my earlier blog posts talked about how my hand hurt from piping cookies, and this week it's my hip and feet that are killing me. Anyone who bakes or cooks and is on their feet for long hours on end knows that when you stand up and lean over the counter for eight hours, then try to do anything else, you'll feel muscles that you didn't know that you had.

So after this weekend, which is one that I've been dreading for the past eight months, I don't think I'll be able to get up off the couch when I try. I usually don't schedule more then three cakes over the course of a weekend, because that way if a bride wants to add a groom's cake to her order, it won't be too difficult to schedule deliveries, etc.

For this weekend I had scheduled three cakes, then someone else asked if I could do one, and since it was small I said yes. Then I got another contract back that I'd forgotten about, but it was small, so I said well, I can handle it. When all was said and done I had six wedding cakes and a groom's cake scheduled for this weekend, so I've been busy this week, to say the least. Of course, all of them needed gumpaste of some sort, too.

At this point I'm done with five of the seven, and I have to decorate two more and deliver them tomorrow. One only has flowers to put on it, and the other gets to be painted, but it's fondant so I want to let it sit to make sure no bubbles appear on it mysteriously before I decorate it.


Here are the 5 that I've done so far...All different styles, and all finished and delivered successfully! Now let me see if I can get up and stretch my hip so that I won't be too stiff tomorrow to decorate the next two...


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing!! you must be the superwoman of caking. yep, i feel your pain. had no idea how strenuous caking was going to be as a business. whenever i have to cover a tiered cake in fondant i feel like i've rowed across the atlantic and can barely move the next day, lol. i've been thinking of investing in those special mats to stand on that are made of a gel i think? my biggest problem is my hands going to sleep. had it a long time and caking is making it worse. i will only book 1 wedding per weekend and maybe 1 or 2 small cakes. don't want the stress of more than that. your cakes are beautiful and i wish you safe and uneventful deliveries :D
cindy/cindy's cakery

Kara said...

I have one of those mats, they do help. The most important thing (according to my physical therapist) is to stop every hour and stretch for 5 minutes.

Cindy, if your hands are falling asleep you should check the muscles around your shoulders. Feel around the back of your armpit/shoulder blade area on the muscle that goes around your shoulder, and see if there's a spot that when you press it, it makes your hand go numb (or just hurts like crazy). Then get your husband or another willing victim to work on it. I thought that I had carpal tunnel, but it's all related to poor posture and leaning over the counter with my shoulders slumped forward for so long.

Veronica Yoshida said...

Out "standing" performance, Kara. I feel your pain. If we didn't love what we do we'd have stopped long ago. I'll hold you one side and you hold the other!