Friday, October 22, 2010

How To Attach Flowers to Fondant Cakes

When I was trying to decide how to attach a bunch of  roses to a fondant drape cake recently, I had a "duh" moment. Just use melted candy wafers.

Now I want to be clear that when I make candy clay roses I don't expect people to eat them. They're NOT chocolate, and I think of them like I think of gumpaste...Technically edible, but not something I'd want to eat. When people say "chocolate clay" I want there to be real chocolate, for pete's sake, not a waxy imitation. It's like when people call a cake ball a "cake truffle". Oh no, that's not a truffle, and you'd better not give me one and call it that. I'll be mad when I bite into it and find no truffle action inside.

Anyway...I used this method a few weeks ago to attach some gumpaste flowers to a fondant cake, and last week I had a bunch of candy clay roses that I attached to a blue fondant drape using the same method. The candy melts dry completely solid, so be sure that you want the flower where it's attached. Once you put it there you probably won't be able to reposition it without damaging the cake.

The good thing about the candy clay roses is that you can cut them flat with a pair of scissors, then attach them to the surface of the cake. For this cake I cut them to conform to the shape of the part of the cake where they were going to go, then put some melted candy on the drape. I attached the roses and held them in place for a couple of seconds to make sure they were adhered.

Doing it this way allows you to avoid inserting wires, toothpicks, skewers, or other inedible elements into the cake itself.  For this cake the roses that are on the side of the cake are attached only with the melted candy, no other picks or anything were necessary. When they cut the cake, they can remove the entire drape in one piece without ripping the cake apart.


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very helpful. Thanks for sharing. Btw, LOVE your website...so informative.

Joyzlu

Kara said...

Thanks!

Cat said...

I do this method when I ice in buttercream. It works very well.