Monday, November 22, 2010

Deliveries Can Be An Adventure

I've written about delivering wedding cakes before, but after one that I did recently I thought that it wouldn't hurt to touch upon the subject again.



Notice the warning at the top "address is approximate"--No kidding!
 
I always say that you should take the initiative and get in touch with venues before you deliver a cake. It isn't fun to arrive at a venue and find nobody there and the doors locked tight, so checking in beforehand is usually a good idea. Well, sometimes nobody answers the phone at smaller locations like private clubs, because there isn't anyone on staff there full time. If that happens I try to arrange things with the bride, since if she's renting the space, she should know what time people should be there to open the place up.

For my recent delivery to an American Legion hall I couldn't get in touch with the club, so I arranged the delivery time with the bride. No problem. I got directions from mapquest but then thought "wait, I've driven past there before and I don't remember seeing the place..." So let's try google street view.

Well, street view showed a bunch of trees. Lots and lots of trees. With an arrow pointing to the road and the address on the arrow. I assumed that the club wasn't a treehouse, so I was prepared for something strange. I double-checked the address, gave myself some extra time, checked to see if the address was also listed in the phone book (it was) and figured that I would be able to find it when I got in the area.

So after driving around for twenty minutes, in and out of a residential neighborhood that didn't look like a private club of any sort, I did the most logical thing I could do. I started asking random people in the neighborhood if the club existed, and then where it was. With the help of a few people, I eventually found the club, which was obviously a super-secret American Legion hall that had been located down a narrow dirt road in the woods before this neighborhood had sprung up around it. The cake was delivered, and everything was lovely.

So my further delivery advice is to triple-check every detail of locations that you don't know, and leave yourself some extra time if you've never been to the location. If you get lost you won't panic so much if you have some time built into your schedule!

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

6 comments:

Ron Ruth - Kansas City Wedding DJ said...

Glad you found the place. I agree that meticulous planning in advance is the best idea. You're a far better person than me. My stress level would have been off the chart!

Kara said...

Oh, don't get me wrong, there may have been some swearing involved... But does that count if I'm the only person who hears it? ;)

Jamie said...

I MapQuest everything unless I know dang good and well where it is. So far, so good. I can imagine your area must have places that are hard to find even with all the maps in the world though!

Kara said...

In this case, mapquest pointed me to the same location as the arrow above did! I knew I was in for it. I think that the post had been there long before the neighborhood was, so the street address used to be right, but now you have to drive through the neighborhood instead of just going straight down a long, long, long road.

Jennywenny said...

What funny timing! This is something I learned this weekend. I showed up at the venue to find a gate with no-one answering the intercom and it turned out I needed a code! Thankfully the day-of co-ordinator was very helpful and I was able to get in to set up.

As I've mentioned to you, I was also annoyed to find that I'd been asked to arrive way too early, so that the lady who I was supposed to be meeting to discuss cutting the cake wasnt even there. Its a good idea to try and get a feel for what time you really need to be there too. I was given a time 2 hours earlier than I needed to be there just in case something didnt work out.

SweetThingsTO said...

Agreed. I have been meaning to put together a list of questions that should be answered re: delivery eg: Contact name & cell phone, Specific delivery time when tables and coverings all set up, Special delivery door to receive cakes and is it covered, are there stairs/elevator to go up, is there a cart available, where is cake displayed and will all sides be seen, will they promise not to move the cake.... who else has more? :-)