Friday, January 21, 2011

Chocolate On Cookies

Use the back of the cookie so it will be flat!
I'd seen this technique for decorating cookies a few places before, using modelling chocolate or fondant instead of royal icing, but I hadn't tried it.

I decided that these dark blue dress cookies would be a good time to give it a shot, since I didn't like the thought of the flavor of dark blue royal icing.

Since it's generally not a good idea to try a technique for the first time when you have a paid order, I did a round cookie first as a test run. It worked so well I'll never go back to royal icing again!

Chocolate disc on the cookie
I cut out the circle of modelling chocolate using the same cutter that I used to cut the cookies. I brushed corn syrup on the back of the chocolate circle to help it adhere to the cookies. You can brush it directly onto the warm cookies, but I decided to do it this way so that everything would be ready to go when they came out of the oven.

When the cookies came out, some of them were wonky and had developed bubbles on the surface, so I turned one over to use the flat back as the top. (That's a good thing to do anyway, you'll always have a nice flat surface to decorate that way.)

Brushed with corn syrup
I put the chocolate disc on top of the hot cookie, and it melted right into it. When it cooled off it had adhered to the surface of the cookie and wasn't going anywhere.

Remind me why I ever used royal icing again?? This is so much easier on the hands.

So since that worked, I cut out the dress shapes, brushed them with the corn syrup and then applied them to the dress cookies when they were done baking. I ended up piping them with more chocolate decorations later.

Chocolate dresses on the cookies, slightly melted
A couple of things to remember is that the chocolate will melt and then reharden, so don't touch the piece once you apply it to the cookie until it's cooled off some. You'll leave marks where you touched it if it hasn't hardened up enough.

Also, it seemed to be harder once it cooled off than it was when I started, so if you want to imprint any patterns on it, either do it before you put the chocolate on the cookie, or don't wait until it sets up completely to press the pattern into it.

People also do this technique with fondant, so if you prefer that to the modelling chocolate you can use that instead.

Anyone have experience with this technique? Any tips or tricks to share?



 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

8 comments:

Rosie said...

I have used this technique with fondant. Works great with holiday cookies. I love those dresses.

Kara said...

Does it work the same way with fondant? I just have a hard time believing that it will stick the same way, since the chocolate melts a little.

Natalia said...

What kind of modeling chocolate do you use? Would you mind sharing where you purchase it or the recipe you use to make it? I've wanted to use it and have tried several recipes but each one has come out hard as a rock and not pliable? Any tips? Thanks! Love the dresses.

Kara said...

The formula that I use is 16 oz white chocolate to 1/2 cup corn syrup, or 16 oz dark chocolate to 2/3 cup corn syrup. Use less syrup if it's the summer months, or to make it stiffer in general.

It will get pretty hard, but you can put it in the microwave for 5 seconds to start the softening, then just knead it. I only microwave it if it's a total rock, though. Otherwise, just knead it and work it until it warms up. Depending on how cold it is that can take a few minutes.

For modelling figures you can use one 14-oz bag of candy melts to 1/3 cup corn syrup, but for eating purposes real chocolate is better. You can color it with oil-based candy colors, or with powdered food colors

Kara said...

You can also increase the corn syrup if it always comes out totally unworkable, too!

Rosie said...

Kara, yes, it works great with fondant. I usually put it on while the cookies are still warm so that it melts into the cookie.

Veronica said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I had wondered about it after you first talked about it. Even though kids (and most adults) will eat cookies no matter how much royal is on there, this looks much tastier (it is chocolate) and definitely easier! I can't wait to try it!

Sarah said...

I have done this with fondant before, but modeling chocolate would be tastier! Great idea!