Monday, January 31, 2011

What's Your Backup Plan?

Last month after my daughter's surgery I knew that she would need a lot of follow-up attention and monitoring, so I didn't schedule a lot of cakes. I was able to plan ahead.

The scared cat in her house..being prepared.
While she was in the hospital I noticed that our scared cat who lives in my bathroom and hides all day seemed to be looking strange, and she'd stopped eating very much. She's neurotic, though, so that wasn't weird for her. Then I noticed that she had a sore on her ear and was losing weight. I made an appointment at the vet for a time that my daughter's pain pills would be kicking in so she could go with me. I was able to plan ahead.

So while I was sitting at the vet's office, everything under control, I got a phone call from my husband, who informed me that he was on the way to the ER because he might have appendicitis. What??

I didn't plan for that.

I was able to rearrange my schedule for the following day and everything worked out, but it made me think about the all-important backup plan.

For businesses, do you have a backup plan? What would you do if something came up and you had a conflict on a day that you were contracted to do some work?

I have an informal network of bakers in town who I would be able to call if I ended up in the ER in traction. And quite frankly, that's pretty much what it would take to prevent me from delivering a cake. I'm pretty determined that way.

For brides, what would you do if something happened that could affect your wedding day? Do you have a tent or an indoor space in case of rain during your outdoor reception? What if the hurricane comes through? It did one year!

It's important to know what you would do in the case of an emergency before the emergency happens. Get your plan in place, because you won't want to have to figure it out as the emergency is going on.



 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's pretty crazy Kara! I hope all are doing better now :D

Don't really have a back up plan but I realize that I need one. Kinda hard to find a willing and able baker friend to trust with your customer. Those kinds of friends are rare and you are lucky! I'm a very determined person as well but hey what can you do if you are in the OR under anesthesia? Hopefully it will never come to that but I know it's something that's best to have a plan to set into motion.

cindy/cindy's cakery

Kara said...

It's also good to have something in your contract about it, but you'd have to think of a good way to phrase it so that you don't scare the client!