Friday, March 11, 2011

Tulip Centers

My flower-loving daughter had a tulip in a bud vase in her room, and it was sadly time to throw it out. Since I have a cake due that is going to have some gumpaste tulips on it I decided to give it the once-over.

The stamens were totally different that I thought, so it was an educational moment. See the weird little shape? I thought that they were more straight, but they're apparently segmented.


In addition, the top of the pistil isn't as distinctly made as most of the gumpaste tulips stamen instructions I've seen make them. Instead of having three little balls attached to the main center part, it's really more of a flared part on the end, with no distinct separation between the flared edge and the center stem, and with an indentation in the center of each section.

They're also really short, compared to what I thought. The complete center from where the green stem ended was only about and inch and a half tall. The petals would have attached right where the green part started, so the center really doesn't stick very far up into the open part of the flower.



I'll be making the centers this way when I do my tulips. It just goes to show that when you look at printed instructions instead of the real flower you can get farther from the real structure of the flower. It pays to get a real example and take it apart to really see what the thing that you're making really looks like.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA
 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

No comments: