Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What To Do With Extra Ganache Other Than Eat It With A Spoon

Every now and then I have extra ganache, and I'll generally just save it to use later. However, there are times when I just want to eat it.

If I follow through on that desire and eat it I end up feeling more than a little sick, since it's so rich, and I inevitable eat too much of it. A much more efficient and portion-controlled way to ingest ganache is to make it into truffles.

(I do have to comment that I think it's kind of dumb that if you eat ganache with a spoon you feel like a pig, but if you eat it in a truffle it's socially acceptable, but that's the way it is. Oh well.)

(And let me also add that the so-called "cake truffle" isn't a truffle at all, it's the invention of the Swiss Colony mail-order company that sells all the baked goods that your great-aunt sends you every year that never seem to get stale...Do NOT try to give me a ball of mashed-up cake with icing thrown in and tell me it's a truffle, nothing good will come from it.)

So anyway, to make truffles all you do is whip the ganache until it's fluffy, add a little flavoring to it in the process if you'd like to, then roll little balls out of it. Make sure to keep everything cold or the truffles won't be easy to handle.

I use a little ice cream/dough scoop to make the truffles, then I rolled them in crushed nuts. Half pistachio and half almond.

The nuts really don't change the flavor too much, it just makes them pretty, To add some flavor to the truffles you should put some extract or liquer directly into the chocolate as I mentioned before.

You can also roll them in cocoa powder, but I don't like the way that makes them feel when you eat them.

They should be stored in the fridge, if they last long enough to require storage.

In terms of the flavorings, the best thing to do would be to find out what your family DOESN'T like them to taste like, then do that so that there are more for you. I'll plan for that next time.



 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

No comments: