Monday, April 11, 2011

Nobody Wants To Work With A Robot

It goes without saying that in the wedding industry, or in any business, you need to treat your clients professionally. Show up on time for appointments, call back when you say you will, etc.

Other than the basics, which should be self-explanatory, what do clients want from us? A formal business relationship, or one with a little more personality?

I often wonder if what I write online will scare people away from calling me. Yes, I have a gnome fixation. Yes, I love Cheap Trick and the Beatles. No, I don’t like cupcakes.

If you read my blog I think that you can get a pretty good idea of my tone, which isn’t exactly the typical “swoon” stereotype that a lot of wedding professionals seem to strive for. (That makes me roll my eyes, actually.) I’m too busy and I don’t have time to play games with people and pretend to get excited about a shade of pink. If I get excited about something, I'm really excited about it.

I’m also a pretty nice person, and I have a good warped sense of humor. And I’m determined to make all of my clients the best wedding cakes that I can while treating them honestly and not promising anything I can’t deliver.

I had a client tell me today that she liked to be able to “read” me a little before meeting with me, and that she set up the appointment because she got the feeling from my website that I wasn’t going to try to sell her a line. That’s exactly what I want people to get out of my online ramblings, so I was glad to hear it.

How you present yourself to your customers does matter, but if you’re determined to maintain a super-formal demeanor all the time I don’t think that it serves you well. In my opinion people like to know that they’re dealing with a human, not a phony wedding machine. When I read twitter streams that are nothing but happy comments on pretty pictures I have to wonder if there’s anyone sincere behind them. I want to deal with people who are a little less plastic, if you know what I mean.

A catering manager I know told me that she was doing a tasting with a couple, and was just being herself. At one point the bride said "I want to work with you, you're fun!" So it does help (as long as you're not a jerk) to be yourself.

So don’t be afraid to inject a little of yourself into your business image. It doesn’t have to be all formal and impersonal...If you let your clients know a little about who you are it will serve you well in the long run.



 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

3 comments:

Janiece Todd Parsons said...

Kara, I gave you a blogger award. Check out my latest blog post to see which one it is. Congrats! http://dsgnmomonline.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/the-versatile-blogger-award-my-very-first-award/

Kara said...

Thanks, Janiece...I'll have to work on getting a list of blogs together!

Sadsmile's Sweets said...

Great advice in all things you do.. to thine own self be true!