Saturday, April 2, 2011

Wedding Cakes With Fondant Pearls

I refer to white cakes with pearls and swirls on them as the "Richmond" cake. They're really popular here, but as I look through other people's websites and magazines that have photos from real weddings, it's obvious that Richmond isn't the only place they're popular.

One of the cakes that I did today had white pearls on the sides and silver pearls at the base of the tiers. I also added pearls at the base of the dish that held the flowers to help it blend in better!

When I make the pearls I use one of the silicone pearl molds, then I re-roll the pearls so that they look better. The mold can leave the fondant pearls with a seam on them, which is eliminated when they're re-rolled by hand.

Making the pearls out of fondant is also good because nobody will break their teeth on them if they're bitten. They harden up enough to hold their shape, but they remain soft and will flatten out when pressure is applied. You can't say the same for dragees.

If you like the look of the pearls but don't want to do the work of making them, you can buy them on my etsy shop. They're also good for decorating (dare I say it) cupcakes...Oh,the horror!

Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

No comments: