Wednesday, May 25, 2011

How To Avoid Poisoning Your Wedding Guests

I've written before about fresh flowers on cakes and the issue of toxic flowers, pesticides and fertilizers. I've also had a guest blogger talk about organic flowers...

So what do you do when the bride really wants fresh flowers on her cake? What I do is make sure that I'm the one who puts them on.

I recently had a cake that was going to have fresh flowers on it. When I arrived at the reception site they hadn't arrived, so the coordinator called the florist. They said that they were going to send everything over later, and that the florist would put them on the cake.

That makes me nervous, because who knows what the florist was told about how the bride wanted the cake done? Luckily, the delivery person arrived with everything and was more than happy to let me decorate the cake.

Good thing, too, because the flowers included hydrangea (toxic) and hyacinth (toxic).

So instead of putting the hydrangea all over the cake like you see in wedding magazines and photo shoots (bad, bad photo shoots, giving brides lots of bad ideas) I put them around the base of the cake, but none of them touched the cake itself.

The flowers that went on the cake had big blobs of icing on them used as glue, so there were no stems inserted into the cake. I also took some of the hyacinths and stuck them inside the rose petals so that they were on the layers but didn't come anywhere near the cake itself.

Just be careful when using real flowers...The likelihood of someone getting sick from them is low, but you never know. My rule is,  if I don't want to eat the flowers, then I don't want to stick them into the cake, either.

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

5 comments:

The Green Flamingo, Flowers & Gifts said...

Thanks Kara for this post! While magazine spreads and photo shoots can make cakes look amazing all draped and covered in flowers you MUST be aware of what is toxic and then also consider the pesticides used on imported flowers. They are not legal to spray here in the US but they can make their way to your cake. Either let the baker make the flowers or buy them from a local grower or provider of organically grown flowers. Love your blog gal!

wedding cakes ipswich qld said...

It is great to read some of the information and feedback, here. I hope to read more ideas in the future!!!

SweetThingsTO said...

Such a great reminder post!

wedding cakes gold coast said...

What a lovely cake... Thanks for sharing it. :)

Wedding Cakes Brisbane South said...

It is great to read some of the information and feedback, here. I hope to read more ideas in the future!!!