Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Ducks Are Back!

About 4 or 5 years ago, this time of year, a couple of ducks showed up in my front yard. They were a male and a female, and they were just sitting there.

I have a lot of plants in my yard and I was afraid that they were looking for a place to build a nest. Being who I am, if they had done that I would have felt compelled to build a fence around it to keep out wandering cats, and I probably would have been spending a lot of time looking out the window to make sure they were safe.

They came back every morning at the same time for about three days, and they finally didn't show up any more, so I was relieved of fence-building duties.

Until the next year, when they came back. Same time of the year, same time of day, just sitting in the same place every morning.

Another few days passed and they didn't come back.

Until the next year. And every year after that. They don't seem to care if we're out there near them, and they've even started eating seed from the bird feeders that we have outside, so they're obviously pretty comfortable.

This year they've been around for a couple of weeks, which is unusual. They're here every morning and sometimes in the evening, as as long as we don't go closer than about three feet to them they just hang around and eat. We were out doing yardwork one night and they didn't care, they just went about their business and ignored us.

A couple of days ago the female showed up by herself at 5:45 in the morning. She was sitting at the edge of our lawn and quacking really loudly like she was trying to call the male. She stayed there for about an hour, but he never showed up. The same thing happened the next day, so we were getting worried about where he was.

This morning my husband came in and said "guess who's walking up the street toward the yard." Yes, it was the two ducks. Just strolling down the street. They walked up, ate their breakfast, then flew away. At least we were glad to see that the male was back.

I know this has nothing to do with cakes. But ducks are cute.

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I love ducks! I have had several duck pets when I was younger. They were always named Henry or Henrietta. I loved those little quackers!

Kara said...

This morning I was opening the curtains and we saw the female sitting there waiting. I took the birdseed out, filled up the feeder about two feet away from her, and she waddled right over and ate breakfast while I was standing right beside her! Very cute, but weird.

I'm thinking that the males will sit on the nest sometimes, and that's why she's by herself. They must have a nest somewhere nearby.

Wedding Cakes said...

Nice Blog. Keep it up.