Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Candy Cake and A Candy Shop

I did this Bat Mitzvah cake yesterday...When I was getting everything ready earlier last week I was thinking that the lollipops and balls on it would be made out of fondant.

But how dumb is it to do that when the client mentioned gumballs and lollipops in her emails, and it was obvious that the candy would be more fun for the kids than big balls of fondant would be?

Seriously, if I was 13 and I had a cake that looked like it had lollipops and gumballs on it, I would be really disgusted if they turned out to be fake, even if they were still made out of sugar.

So I decided to put real candy on the cake. Where to get said candy was the next issue. These were pretty specific colors and I didn't have time to order anything online. Luckily, I knew that a candy shop had opened last year in a location pretty close to me, so I went over to see what they had.

I walked in and told the owner what I was looking for, and about ten seconds later I was choosing lollipops and gumballs. She counted out the individual gumballs for me, and I was on my way in about fifteen minutes. They have a really cool selection of different candy, and I felt compelled to buy some fancy chocolate for myself while I was there, too.

The cake turned out well, and I think that the real candy on it was a much better choice than making gumpaste versions. I really hope that the kids at the party ripped the whole thing apart and had a good time doing it!

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

3 comments:

Canterbury Cakes said...

I bet the kids had a fine time eating it - it looks fabulous!

Sweet Tooth Desserts said...

This looks great and so colorful!!

Pam said...

I have been dying to make a cake like this but no one will order one. I've been dying to make all the candy and to go on it out of fondant and gum paste, but not that you mention it, I wouldn't want to eat the imposters either. Thanks for turning on the light bulb, especially if I ever get a chance to make one of these.

BTW, the cake looks great!