Sunday, June 12, 2011

Delivery Hell


The Cake That Lived!
 Oh, How I love my car...I have a Volvo wagon, which has a nice, flat back area and drives like a tank.

I was happily driving down the highway yesterday doing my first delivery of the day. I was going to deliver it at 2:00, then go back to get the other two cakes that would be delivered in one trip. No problem getting more than one large cake in my car, right?

Except that my car suddenly started making a not-so-happy sound, and the check engine light came on.

Uh oh.

I managed to get to my destination, set the cake up, then get home by driving really slow with my flashers on, rolling down the windows on a fabulous 95-degree day, and blasting the heater to draw heat off the engine. I couldn't tell what was wrong, but based on the sounds it was making, the word "transmission" came to mind.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So I limped home, and did what any normal person thinking that they were going to have to replace their transmission and still had two cakes to deliver would do. I went online to look up the problem message that the car had been giving me.

It turns out that other people with the same car, model and year as I have, have had the same problem, and I HOPE it won't be too expensive to fix.

In the meantime, I still had the two cakes to deliver at the same time, and no car with a nice, flat surface to deliver them on.

After rigging the seats of my husband's sedan with egg cartons to flatten them out, and non-stick padding to keep the boxes from sliding, I loaded the car up with one box in the front and one in the back. The one in the front was the one that I was most concerned about, since it wasn't perfectly level. I drove 15 miles with my arm contorted into the "holding the box upright"  position, and it made it there fine.

Then I drove another 20 miles to the next delivery, and that cake was fine too. They had both been refrigerated, so they were still cold and didn't shift at all.

So that's my story for this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for me that the pain at the mechanic isn't too bad when I finally get the car into the shop!

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

7 comments:

Wendy Coffey said...

Funny I had a similar experience yesterday! My blazer overheated on my first delivery and I had to do the rest in my husbands car - which we had JUST fixed the AC on that week. What a blessing!

Kara said...

Wow, it must have been the day for it! Why does it always happen during the FIRST delivery, not the last one?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Ugh. That story makes my stomach hurt! Delivery is my least favorite part of cake decorating even in perfect conditions. I'm glad they all made it to their destinations. At least you won't have angry brides to deal with in addition to a broken car.

SweetThingsTO said...

Sooo.... what happened with your car?

Kara said...

It was a bad coil on the spark plugs and the cylinder (whatever that is), so $750 later I'll have all new spark plugs and an engine that should run just fine. Much better than $5000 for a new transmission!!!

Anonymous said...

oh wow, that stinks. glad it wasn't any worse for you. a few years back i had a spark plug break off and a piece went up into whatever part of the engine it went up into and did all kinds of damage. cost about what you paid kara. i thought my car was done for but they fixed it. never knew spark plugs could do such a thing??? :\
cindy/cindy's cakery

Kara said...

I guess we learn about these things the hard way!