Monday, June 13, 2011

When The Bad Vendor Is Your Friend

What do you do when you have a friend or acquaintance who you like well enough, but who has no business ethics or ability?

It's possible to like someone well enough personally, but still recognize that they do crappy work. Or that they tend to oversell their own abilities and experience in order to get clients. Or that they don't think the rules apply to them.

How do you handle situations like that?

I tend to keep my mouth shut, since I don't think that it's professional to talk about other vendors with clients. But my husband gets an earful, let me tell you.

But is it a good thing to keep your mouth shut all the time? In the past I've been put in the position of having to "tell" on someone, or say nothing. What I decided to do in the end depended on the situation, but if there's something important happening I'll generally speak up.

The hard part is deciding who to speak up to.

Sometimes it's best to talk to the perpetrator, sometimes not. I can't give any blanket recommendations since every situation is different, and it's never simple.

Sometimes it's easier to ignore the whole thing, especially if you got any part of the story from a third party.

Has anyone else been in any situations like this, and how did you handle it? Is it better to confront the person directly, or just leave it alone? Let me know what you think.

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

1 comment:

Cake Is Life said...

Oh boy! I deal with this A LOT! My sister is a "photographer"...we'll just leave it at that! She's always asking me if I've referred her to people that come to me looking for a wedding cake. First off, I don't like to "refer" people when I'm not asked. Second off, when I refer people, I do so with my own reputation in mind also. I would HATE to refer someone to a bad vendor...I think it looks bad. When those people talk about their bad experience, they are not only going to talk about the company that wronged them, but also about you who referred them! So lately, I've just responded to her that the subject of a photographer didn't come up...which it usually doesn't!