Friday, July 8, 2011

Sometimes A Cigar Is Just A Cigar

And sometimes a cigar cake looks less like a cigar and more like other things. If you do a quick online image search for "cigar cake" you'll see what I mean.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Okay, now that you're back, and have seen some things that you probably didn't need to see, I'm sure that you'll agree that if you're ever called upon to make a cigar box cake, the key to keeping it family-friendly will be to make the cigars as realistically as possible.

There are some really good cigar box cakes out there, but there are also a lot that look more like boxes of severed fingers, hot dogs, and dare I say, some rather scatological ones, among other things.

I made a cigar cake recently, and to make sure that I didn't create something that looked like a box of poop, I watched a couple of videos about how to wrap real cigars. One explained what the outside of the leaf looks like, and one showed how to wrap the actual cigar.

Using gumpaste, I rolled out a thin sheet and did my best to wrap a tube of fondant the same way that they did in the video. This ended up looking a lot better than just rolling out a tube of fondant and calling it a day.

I won't be making a second career of wrapping cigars anytime soon, but I think it's a good way to do them if you want to avoid unfortunate cigar cakes.

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

1 comment:

SweetThingsTO said...

Definitely doesn't look like a box of poop :-) Awesome job!