Sunday, July 31, 2011

Why I Hate Cupcakes

I am a cupcake hater.

Well, I don't really HATE them but I don't like eating them and I don't like making them. I really don't care about them one way or the other as far as how they affect my life or not.

It's gotten to be a joke, though, so I just go with the anti-cupcake vibe. I'm not the only baker who doesn't like them, either.

I don't like eating them because I have a weird thing about crumbs. When I was in college my best friend said to me at lunch one day, "Do you realize that you shake all of your food before you eat it?"

I hadn't realized, but she was right. I hate getting crumbs all over myself, so when I pick up a piece of bread, or anything else that might drop crumbs, I shake it first to get the offenders off.

Cupcakes are notorious for dropping crumbs and little pieces of cake all over the place, so that's strike number one.

I'm also not a huge fan of eating sticky things with my hands, so that's strike number two.

Strike number three would be that most cupcakes are either dry with a huge icing to cupcake ratio, like that's going to draw attention away from the nasty cake part of it. I'm not a big fan of huge amounts of icing, so that isn't really my bag, baby.

Okay, now I'm hearing lots of protests..."But my cupcakes aren't dry! Mine are delicious!" Maybe, but you still have to eat them with your hands and they'll still drop crumbs on me, so no thanks.

On a practical side, cupcakes are just a pain in the butt to make, as far as I'm concerned. The baking, decorating, transportation and storage of the little buggers are more problematic than for a regular cake. Then after you pack them all up to deliver them, you have to unpack them and set them up when you get to where you're going. Time-consuming and annoying.

So I don't sell cupcakes, and I don't eat them for the most part. I actually made some the other day to use up some batter, and my kids assumed that they were muffins.

But at least cupcakes aren't those nasty push-up pop cake tampon things that I've seen in magazines. How the heck are you supposed to eat those? Yuck.

So look at it this way...I don't sell cupcakes, so that's more business for you. I don't eat them, so that's more for you. I'm just doing my part to be generous and spread the happiness for people who are actually made happy by a cupcake. Which wouldn't be me.


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

9 comments:

fromscratchsf1 said...

LOL!

cakeislife.com said...

LMAO...tampon thingies! They look like a HUGE PITA to make and to eat! Not a chance!

I can't stand making cupcakes either...they are a pain any way you look at it...which is why I don't like to do them either and I jack up the price of them so that most people order a cake instead!

Jamie said...

Nyuck nyuck...one of these days you're gonna find a cute little cupcake in your mailbox. With a vacant stare and a bite out of it's rear end.

Anonymous said...

As long as it has a unibrow it will be fine.
-Kara

Maxine said...

LOL - youu surely are hilairius - love your writtings.


How spooky that i just finish posting about the 100 mini's i made and here you are writting about your dislike or them...

Gasp - another *food shaker* - i thought it was only me with that habit.
So tht means if there is anothr *food shaker* out there ............... i must be normal.

Maxine

Kara Buntin said...

Maxine, better you than me to make all of those teeny cupcakes! How horrifying!

rosemary said...

Phew! And I thought I was the only one wondering what all the fuss about cupcakes was! Thanks for letting me feel normal!

Sarah said...

I do sell cupcakes along with my wedding cakes, and they are definitely more of a pain to make than a cake. I charge more per serving for cupcakes than I do for regular cake because of this.

Jo Ann said...

How lovely to be validated! I am famous on my personal facebook page for my intense hatred of cupcakes. So much so that one of my friends regularly sends me pictures of annoying, fussy cupcakes. After reading this post, I have officially decided that I, too, will refuse and refer any future cupcake orders. Because life is too short to make cupcakes. So thank you!