Friday, August 5, 2011

When Recipes Give You Leftover Yolks, Make Ice Cream!

If you make a lot of white cakes and/or meringue buttercreams, you'll end up with a lot of extra egg yolks at some point. One thing to do with them is to make custards, or a custard base for ice cream.

custard cooling off in the fridge


I had twenty extra yolks after one baking session recently, so I made a big batch of vanilla custard base, and we made ice cream later that evening. I have an ice cream maker, which usually doesn’t see much action, but at times like this I think that I should get it out more.

The basic recipe that I used was 2 cups half and half, vanilla extract, 5 yolks, and 5 ounces (about 1/2 + 1/8 cup) sugar.



Beat the sugar and the yolks until they’re creamy and light in color. Heat the half and half to the scalding point, then add the vanilla and pour it slowly into the egg mixture while it’s being beaten. When it’s totally mixed, put it over boiling water and stir it constantly until it thickens enough that it sticks to the back of a wooden spoon. Don’t overheat it or it can curdle and separate.

Pour the custard into a pan and let it cool off completely in the fridge. Use it in the ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. You can add other flavors or ingredients to it while it’s mixing, based on how your machine works.


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Yvonne in MN said...

I make homemade icecream all the time - as a cake-baking byproduct! My icecream loving neighbors now tell me when they run out :) I usually have extra yolks in sets of 8, so this recipe works really well for me:

8 yolks whipped with 1 cup of sugar
Scald 2 cups whole milk
Add slowly to egg yolk mixture
Return to saucepan and add 2 cups whipping cream
Heat, while stirring, to 175F.
Chill and then churn, adding 1 Tbs of vanilla.

I bought the icecream maker bowl for my KA mixer and LOVE it! After the icecream sets up a bit, I swirl in leftover lemon curd, left over ganache, some nuts, caramel, toasted coconut.... whatever I have on hand... and then package it up for delivery to the neighbors. They always make sure I get my containers back :)

Kara said...

Hi, Yvonne--- I wanted to let you know that I used your recipe and it worked really well. I bet your neighbors hope that you never move!

-Kara