Saturday, October 29, 2011

Modelling Chocolate Wrapped Cakes

Baking Arts in San Francisco has been using striped modeling chocolate to wrap cakes for some time now, and I remember that when I first saw them I wondered how it was done.

The sheets of candy clay (it's done with candy melts, not real chocolate) are smooth when they're applied to the cake, so it looks like a sheet of paper, not layers of stripes, applied to a flat piece of fondant. I had done it in the past, but just in the way that I looked at it and figured out the closest way to replicate it, so the stripes weren't as straight as the originals.

I was curious about how they got everything so even, so I bought the bullet and purchased the DVD tutorial that they sell. After following the instructions, it worked.

This striping technique is the result of many repetitive smoothing motions, and I will say that the guy who does the DVDs has such a soothing manner and voice, I had to watch it 4 times before I was able to stay awake through the whole thing! That's what comes from not getting enough sleep.

I did the striped design that's their basic trademark style, and it came out really well. So of course, I had to mess with it a little to see what else I could get it to do.

leaf shapes, but they're a little distorted
I came to the conclusion that the stripes are basically the extent of the specific technique, because if you try to do shapes they get distorted. So geometrics will still work better if they're applied directly to the cake and not embedded like a single layer.



You can cut the stripes and use them in patterns on the cake. You can also use them to make striped flowers and other designs to apply to the cake.





I replicated another one of Baking Arts' designs, and this one was a lot easier to do since you didn't need to keep anything straight.





Then I messed around with it some more, and eventually ended up doing something that uses modeling chocolate, but not the technique they use, to make this.


So that's my experiment with candy clay/modeling chocolate, or whatever else you want to call it. If you're interested in the look, it would be well worth the price to get one of the DVDs. It isn't just a matter of seeing how it's done, there are also a lot of tips that go along with it that can make it easier. I took about ten pages of notes when I was watching the video, and it all contributed to making the wrap work the right way.

Taking notes will also help keep you awake while watching it!


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Becky said...

Great cake.

Did you use a rolling pin or a pasta attachment to a stand up mixer?

Kara said...

For the striped one I used the pasta roller, for some of the less geometric ones I used the rolling pin.