Saturday, October 15, 2011

Rustic Wedding Cakes Need No Cake Board

I delivered this wedding cake this afternoon, and realized that when people use the wood stump-style wedding cake plateaus you need to make special arrangements.

The couple had the stand waiting for me at the reception site, and the board that the cake was on was too wide for the stump. (Okay, I don't know if "Stump" is the right word, but you get the idea.)

So if I left the cake on the board and put it on the stump the edges of the board would hang over and look REALLY stupid.

I considered my options and decided that I would do something that would probably strike horror into the hearts of most decorators, and rightly so...I used a spatula to pry the cake off of the board that it was stuck to, and I lifted the cake onto the stump.

It's not a good idea to do this in general, but I had to take the chance that I wouldn't dump the cake on the ground in the process. As you can see, it went fine and the cake looked great with the base and the topper that also match the rustic wood theme.

This is actually a good argument for hiring someone who will be delivering as well as assembling the cake. I've seen delivery people plop a cake down on the table and walk out even though there was obvious damage to the cake. If the person who delivers it feels responsible for it they'll make sure everything is right before they leave. Make sure that the person who delivers the cake knows how to address any problems!


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

9 comments:

Audric Montuno said...

Definite sounds like there were a few tense moments as you lifted the cake from the original board to the display! (Hopefully the bride wasn't watching as you were doing that - I'm sure that would be a sight to calm her nerves).

Do you use a secondary board underneath each layer? We used to use thinner cardstock boards that were either slightly smaller or just the same size as the cake layer while it was being assembled, iced, etc. They were then attached to the display board for final decorating and moving.

Kara said...

I do use the tuffboards under the cake tiers, so I had a good, sturdy board to work with, luckily. I don't know how well it would have worked if it was on a cardboard round, since those probably would have wanted to bend when I was prying it off the base board.

SweetThingsTO said...

Cake is so lovely - I'm so glad it worked out. You gotta do, what you gotta do! But that must've been quite a tense moment.

lily cakes said...

I delivered a cake last weekend with a "stump" cake stand. When I got there I noticed there was nothing LEVEL about the stump. Not good for a 4 tier wedding cake. I ended up using cardboard to level the cake up. In the end it was ok, but I learned a lesson...no more stumps unless I bring it myself!

bwedding2012 said...

I absolutely love that cake topper! I've tried searching the internet for something like it, but failed to find anything. Could you possibly find out where I can get one? I too am having a tree slice as my cake stand, so that topper would be more than perfect.

Kara Buntin said...

I think that they got that on Etsy.com .

Jjb1025 said...

How did you get the icing on the cake to look like that?

Kara Buntin said...

Here's a video that has the look on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9HFlNnlbU&list=UUDru9n0gVtJlapF93R1npSw&index=7&feature=plcp

Jjb1025 said...

Thanks so much!