Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Robot Wedding Cake

I ran a wedding cake contest recently, and the winner got married today. The cake was a design that we came up with together, and I was very pleased to be able to work with such a fun bride!

Carrie told me at first that they wanted to do a traditional wedding cake and a funny groom's cake, because they just thought that they should. She was very open to the idea of combining the two, though, and that's how we came up with the final cake.

Now I have to admit that I'm not quite sure where the idea of the robot came from, but I think that it was from the Twitter fail robot that shows up occasionally. I had seen the robot when I got the "technical difficuties" message that day, and it was on my mind. Whatever the source, when I suggested to Carrie that the cake have a robot sitting on top of it, she went for it right away.

So I had the robot sitting on the main cake, holding their traditional wedding cake. The "X and O" theme was all over the reception, so I put those on the top cake.

The bottom tiers had twitter birds to represent the couple's twitter courtship. The base tier had binary code that spelled out "Matt plus Carrie XOXO." (And no, I don't read binary, I had to look it up.)

We also put a peony on the bottom tiers to give another nod to the traditional cake designs. It also tied the cake in to the rest of the wedding decor, which featured a lot of magenta flowers.

This cake was fun to do, which was exactly the point. The best part was that there was another couple touring the reception site while I was setting the cake up. They came over to look at it, and the bride said "This is making me want to have a fun cake!" Mission accomplished...


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very creative and super fun Kara! I love it!
~Sarah

melissa said...

That's pure awesome.

Matt Walters said...

We loved the cake. Not only was it cool to look at and fun, it tasted great :) When Carrie and I were cutting it at the reception and taking our first bite we both perked up as soon as we tasted it.

Thanks so much for making the cake, it was great :)

Carrie said...

This turned out even cooler than I had imagined! I didn't have a chance to see the reception space before the ceremony, so as soon as we walked in it was one of the first things I honed in on. Absolute perfection!!! It suits our geeky/quirky relationship just perfectly. Thank you so much for making our day even more memorable!

Eva said...

Kara - this is just beautiful. And I love the special touch of adding a message in binary. Those sorts of details are what makes a cake REALLY stand head and shoulders above any others!

Eva

Kara said...

Thnaks, everyone. And Matt and Carrie, shouldn't you two be off on a honeymoon somewhere right now?? Congratulations!

SweetThingsTO said...

Awesome - I love fun ideas like that!