Saturday, November 5, 2011

Colorful Wedding Cakes Can Be Fun

This weekend I did a wedding cake and a groom's cake for a bride who was obviously not afraid of color.

The groom's cake for the rehearsal dinner was a blue crab holding the bride and groom in its claws. To make this I started with light blue fondant and airbrushed the rest of the colors on, the removed some in appropriate spots to give the effect of the shell. The colors on blue crabs are pretty bright in spots, so that was colorful cake number one.

The wedding cake took it to another level. Using four different colors and gold piping, this one was definitely not a traditional cake! The gumpaste flowers had gold centers, and the colors matched the other colors in her theme.



On another note, I signed up to participate in the BlogHer event National Blog Posting Month (NaBloPoMo.) that mean that I'm going to be posting something EVERY DAY this month. So if you have topics you'd like to see covered let me know. I have a few things scheduled but I could always use more ideas!


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh those are both great! I love that little crab!

AnnaBeL said...

hello! i was wondering how you did the gold piping. i am helping out a friend with a baby shower and she wanted a pink and gold cake. did you mix the gold powder into the royal icing or did you paint it on after? thanks so much!

Kara said...

AnnaBel-- that was piped buttercream that I painted gold afterward with luster dust thinned out with vodka.