Friday, November 25, 2011

How To Kill Fruit Flies

I had a small infestation of fruit flies recently, and I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. I didn't have any fruit that was sitting out, and there was nothing in the pantry that had flies on it, so I was stumped.

The easiest way to get rid of fruit flies is to get rid of their food source, but if you have no source then you have to resort to catching the ones that are already out there. They're very small and annoying, though, so we had to set a trap.

I took a bowl of cider vinegar with a piece of mashed-up banana in it, covered it with plastic wrap and poked some small holes in the plastic. Don't make them too big, though. I poked a lot of small ones rather than a few large ones.

Put the bowl in the general area of where most of the flies seem to be lurking, and leave it. They'll go through the holes to get to the fruit and the vinegar, but they won't be able to get out. This will trap most of them, and in the meantime you can give your kitchen a good cleaning to make sure that there are no sources of food that they're finding.

I put a bowl out and in about an hour there were a bunch of them inside, so it really does work. It's a lot easier than trying to catch them individually, too!


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Another great way to get rid of fruit flies is to put apple cider (it has to be apple cider) in a glass and a drop of dishwashing detergent. The fruit flies love the apple cider but because the soap breaks the surface tension the flies drown. I hate these little pests and this has worked wonderfully for me.

Kara said...

That would probably smell better than the cider vinegar, too. I'll try that the next time they arrive, thanks for the suggestion!