Friday, January 13, 2012

A Car Cake With Working Lights

For the last cake of 2011 I made a car cake that was actually the wedding cake.

The bride wanted the lights on the car to light up, so I made the headlight covers out of isomalt and used some bulbs behind it to illuminate them.

The streetlights also had bulbs in them. I used the little bulbs that you twist to light...They should stay lit for up to 8 hours, which will generally give you long enough to have the cake stay lit up until the cake cutting happens!


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Cindy Shields said...

That is too cool! Not my personal style to have as a wedding cake but you did a great job Kara. May I ask what you put around the lights in the headlights to protect the cake? I guess there's no chance of overheating or any kind of meltdown? ~Thanks!
Cindy/Cindy's Cakery

Kara said...

I hollowed out a space behind each light, then put a plug of modelling chocolate in it. the light sat in the chocolate and was held in place that way.

I had been planning on rigging something up with some led lights, but even though the lights don't get hot, the wiring does. I didn't want to deal with that, so the little lights worked, and they had no wires, so they didn't heat up.