Friday, April 27, 2012

It's Begging Season For Meaningless Awards!

I've started seeing the "VOTE FOR MEEEE" posts on facebook recently, so it's time for a tirade.

If you've read this blog for any length of time you've probably seen my opinion on so-called "awards" that are handed out and are really just free advertising for the sites that give the award. They're bogus, and just dumb.

You may also have seen my opinion on the local awards that magazines etc hand out, "best-of" awards, that kind of thing. Those are basically meaningless at this point, as people go online and beg for votes from people who have never used their services and know nothing about them.

Does this kind of thing look familiar? "Hey, facebook friends/twitter followers/anyone who is bored and is willing to listen! I'd really appreciate it if you voted for me in the "best bottle washer competition on WasteOfTime.com! It's a super huge honor and I'd love to be the winner!" Yeah, yeah, such an honor...

My favorite is when people spend two or three months begging for votes from any random person who will take the time to go click a button, then when they "win" something they post about how humbled and honored they are to have been chosen. Are you kidding me? That should win you the "Most Obnoxious Tool" award.

I've been given plenty of awards, some real and some total crap, so I'm not speaking from a position of sour grapes. I just get tired of the rabid pursuit of meaningless awards. I've "unliked" people on facebook because all they seem to post about is awards they're trying to get votes for. Go beg for votes from someone else.

My advice is that if you want to improve your business, you should go put some effort into providing a better product or service. Don't just try to collect banners and stickers and junk to put on your website.

Because it really is just junk.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA

No comments: