Monday, May 7, 2012

May + June = No Free Time

This is the time of year that wedding businesses really get busy, and we generally stay busy until November or so. Unfortunately, that means that I don't have as much flexibility as far as meeting with prospective clients goes.

I've noticed a trend of people booking their cakes closer to the date of their weddings, as opposed to a year beforehand. That's fine, but the downside is that if people wait until now to book their October wedding cakes, they might not have as many choices for dates of tasting appointments.

In May I only have three weekend days where I have no cakes to deliver, and two of those days are scheduled with tastings. The third is Mother's Day, and I put my foot down and said that I'm not doing anything that day. Other than visiting the inlaws and taking my son to a flight lesson, so yeah, I guess I'm still busy that day.

I've had to tell several people that I can't meet with them until June, because they can't come to the two tasting dates that I have in May. Sorry, but that's how it is. I try to be flexible, but coordinating schedules is difficult when May and June leave me no free time. And I do occasionally have to draw a line in the sand and say no, I can't meet with you at 8pm on a Thursday after you and your family all go out to dinner and then want to come to my house to eat cake for dessert your tasting appointment.

(Yes, really. I couldn't make that up.)

Fortunately, I've also seen an increase in the number of people who are booking closer to the date but who also want to hire me without a tasting. I've had two clients like that in the last two days, so that offsets some of the limitations of meeting with people. We can always get together closer to the date when things let up a little, and in the meantime they know that their date is booked. Works for me.

Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA

1 comment:

SweetThingsTO said...

I have actually noticed a lot of people ordering wedding cakes very last minute. This week alone, I had 2 requests for June weddings. I couldn't accommodate any of the orders on such short notice - but I felt like it was a trend.