Friday, June 15, 2012

How To Keep Black Icing From Bleeding

I don't think that I've ever had a problem with black icing bleeding onto the white base icing before, but I know that it can happen. Because I know that it can happen, I'm careful about trying to avoid it happening. Which is maybe why it's never happened to me.

Anyway, I decided to try a few different application methods to see if I could get the icing to bleed on purpose. I used four different methods, some cold and some room temperature, to see which ones would or wouldn't bleed. I used crusting buttercream for all of them, half butter half shortening.

The first one was white icing that had been refrigerated until it was hard, then I stencilled the black design onto it. It was then returned uncovered to the fridge and kept cold. There was no bleeding at all that I could see.

The second one was crusted over at room temp, piped on with the black, then left uncovered at room temp. Other than the beautiful subject matter, there was nothing notable about that one either. No bleeding of the black color at all.


The next one was crusted over, piped on with the black, then put uncovered in the fridge. No bleeding here either. I even stuck it outside uncovered for a while, and I think that it was molested by something (I suspect Lloyd) but it didn't bleed. It was a cool day, though, so if it was hotter I think there might have been some color running.


Now this one...this is the only one that had any tiny amount of bleeding around the edges of the piping. It was stored in an airtight, sealed container. When you seal things up in an airtight container they tend to soften up, and I think that the icing in this particular arrangement stayed softer and was able to reabsorb the moisture from the icing that was circulating around in the container. 

I don't know that you can see the bleeding, it's very minimal. I suspect that if there had been more cake and more icing in the container there would have been more moisture, and more bleeding.


So I think the secret is to let the air circulate freely around the piped icing, whether that's in the fridge or out. Don't close up dark colored icing in a sealed box, because that will allow the moisture to recirculate and soften everything up, and will result in more of a chance of the color bleeding out.

It also helps if you use the least amount of food coloring that you can to make the black color. I start with white icing, add cocoa powder to that, then add airbrush color to that. The cocoa powder dries the icing out, then the liquid color softens it up again, let it sit overnight because it will continue to darken if you leave it for a while.



 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Jennywenny said...

I guess there is one more rookie thing to remember, I wasn't aware of this for my first black on white disaster, that you should probably use the same type of icing to pipe as you use to cover the cake, ie buttercream on buttercream or royal on fondant, I used royal on buttercream and it melted all over the cake a very long time ago!

Kara Buntin said...

Ahhh! An excellent point! I didn't even think of that. Since the fat in the buttercream will break down the royal icing, that would be a definite way to make the black color run, wouldn't it?