Friday, June 8, 2012

You're Responsible For the Purple, Not The Client

I heard of a baker who did a cake that had a very specific color theme, including purple. They made no effort to make sure that the color didn't fade, and when the bride complained, the baker responded with an "oh well, too bad, purple fades." That would be the wrong reaction.

Red dye is very volatile and disappears quickly, depending on what it's in. Putting purple food coloring in things will often result in blue, not purple, once the color settles down.

Bakers should know this, and it's our job to make sure that the purple color stays purple. Brides don't know this, and it isn't their job to know it. If we're supposed to be the experts, we should be able to handle something like this.

One way to handle it is to give whatever it is time to fade if it's going to, then correct it. I made some purple flowers for a recent cake, and I knew they'd probably fade out. I did them on Monday, and by Thursday they had faded to blue, some more than others.

I fixed this by dusting them with a powdered food color, which won't fade out because it just sits on the surface of the dry gumpaste and doesn't react with anything.

Some tips for dealing with purple:

1. Apply it to the surface, don't mix it into the icing, fondant or gumpaste. If you do mix it in, expect it to fade.

2. Powdered color resist fading better than liquids.

3. Test beforehand to see if the color will fade. Make some icing and let it sit to see if the color will change before putting it on the cake.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA








3 comments:

Marti said...

Thank you for this. I have a Wedding cake this month that has purple in it and was worried about the purple.

Jennifer said...

I do usually warn brides about the purple. I find that sometimes if I make my own purple color (mixing blues and reds) it seems to last longer.
I've had to base ice purple cakes the same day as the wedding just to make sure there was no fading. Another trick I learned is that if I spray the cake all over with pearl sheen, it seems to protect the color from the UV rays. I've done some experiments with this type for a few purple cakes and it really seems to work, even after a week the purple color stays compared to the non-pearled purple.
Oh, and I hate purple, so I hope the fad fades fast!!!

Sarah said...

I just did a wedding with 100 cupcakes topped with purple modeling chocolate blossoms. I kept the blossoms in boxes in the dark and applies them at the reception center so there would be no fading!