Monday, July 30, 2012

Should You Refer Or Not?

The question that's never easy to answer..."If you're booked already, is there someone who you can refer me to?"

Whether I refer clients to other bakers if I can't do their cake is kind of a touchy thing.

First, if they're looking for something specific, I have to know that the person I'd be referring them to can do that.

Second, I have to know that the person I'm referring them to isn't a jerk, because I don't want to be associated with someone who's a jerk.

And that's the main question. Should you even refer out to other people at all? When you do, you're opening yourself up to the client being mad at you if the person you send them to ends up doing a bad job.

I was recently looking for someone to do some minor repair work on my house. I called the company that had done our siding and they didn't do the kind of work I needed, so I asked them of there was a company they referred to. They said a flat out no.

Now I know full well that they know companies who do minor repairs, but they weren't going to get involved in the liability involved with referrals.

It's up to you whether to refer to someone else or not. I have a few people I refer to, but there are more that I don't. Just be careful, because you could be held guilty by association.


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

3 comments:

SweetThingsTO said...

Excellent points Kara - I totally agree.

ChatterBlossom said...

Good advice. That can be a sticky situation. Thanks for sharing!

Ultimate Cake said...

It can be a sticky situation, but there is one gal I refer to when I am fully booked, and I know she refers to me, too. I know that she bakes from scratch and uses good quality ingredients.

I also have a list of links (companies that I do business with myself, or that I know have high standards) on my website for potential clients to look at - florists, venues, caterers etc.