Monday, September 17, 2012

Business Monday: Home/Work

How many home-based businesses have an actual work schedule that's followed? Not many, I'd be willing to bet.

There are too many things that come up in the course of the day if you work from home. You might have kids to deal with, which puts you in an entirely different category of chaos. You might have to interrupt your work to do personal errands or other chores. I'm sure that everyone can think of something they have to do that interferes with what would normally be considered "work hours."

Running a home-based business is difficult because of the flexibility that you have. It's counterintuitive, but true. When you go to work you go to work, do your work, then come home. You might have occasional work that you have to do at night (i.e. my husband when he's writing up reports) but for the most part there's a clear delineation between home and work.

For a home-based business, it's always there. I do work-related tasks at night, on the weekend, and first thing in the morning (It's 6:38am right now), not just during the day. It takes a lot of willpower to be able to shut it down, because you know that what you're not working on will be waiting for you when you go back.

In an effort to maintain my sanity, I'm going to do a better job at separating work and "home," so to speak, from now on. Not I'm going to try, I'm going to do it. The main thing is I'm going to cut back on the work that I take, because I've decided that I'd like to have some downtime every now and then.

After that, I'm going to work on keeping to my schedule and getting my work done during the day when the kids are in school. I tend to do things in spurts and bits and pieces, but if I make a concerted effort to actually block out time to do specific tasks I'm sure I can open up a lot of free time.

Anyone who own a home-based business can benefit from this kind of thing. On Mondays for the next who knows how long I'm going to write about ways to maintain a better balance between home and work, when your work is in your home. If you have any tips feel free to send them to me, we can all benefit from them!


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I can't wait to read these posts! The only thing I typically do to "stop working" is to not answer the phone after 6pm, after noon on Saturdays, or at all on Sundays. Let me know if you need any working with little kid tips.

ChatterBlossom said...

This is a great idea and I look forward to hearing any advice you might have.

Kara Buntin said...

Oh yes, the phone...I could write an entire piece on that little modern "convenience."

Veronica said...

Everything said is so true. Not to mention those who like to add, "You work at home so could you do _____ for me, since you've got time." So many people don't consider it real work because you're home.

Alicia Philippe said...

Can anyone offer any tips for covering extra tall tiers with fondant. It alwyas rips or cracks on me.....eastcoastcakes@gmail.com

Buttercream Dreams, LLC said...

So glad to read this...something I struggle with as well. My shop is located in the basement of my house that has no windows...so I spend most of my day in the underground. Once I do get my shop work done, it is time for paperwork, etc...the last thing I want to do is spend my evenings downstairs still more! I like the idea of not answering the phone after certain hours...need to try and enforce that one for sure! Thinking too that I need to set blocks of time that I can do paperwork only, get done what I can, and then stop...always the next day. I do enjoy reading your emails...thanks!