Monday, September 10, 2012

Hey, Cake "Star"---Get Over Yourself!

(I'm in kind of a mood, so excuse me if you see yourself in this. But if you do, you might want to check yourself.)

I've noticed a lot more public sniping in cake circles recently. The interesting thing is that it's coming from a lot of people who seem to think that they're experts on something, or a cake celebrity, or whatever you want to call it. People who are supposedly respected "professionals."

I've also noticed the issues being complained about are usually things like "they got something I didn't," or "why did they interview them, it should have been me!" Or my personal favorite, "they posted that they didn't like my cake and kiss my butt like everyone else does!" Boo hoo hoo!

I'm not talking about general comments about this or that, I'm talking about very specific comments about how crappy other people are, including links to their websites.

I don't think that this whining is anything new, but with the accessibility of facebook, twitter, online forums and other public posting areas, complainers have a wider audience to gripe to. Public complaining also serves to make someone feel like they're important, dispensing their judgments to anyone who wants to listen.

I have one piece of advice. Shut up. Nobody thinks you look good, important or knowledgeable when you publicly complain about other people and name names. It makes you look desperate, sad, and bitter.

I know it's tempting to call someone out if they're harassing you, but if you're going to mention that you're dealing with something like that don't take it to the next level and make it personal by posting their email address.

And if you have a complaint about someone who hasn't done squat to you, and your complaint is based on professional or personal jealousy, just keep it offline. Complain to your spouse. Complain to your friends. Don't post your complaint on facebook. It's better to have someone who knows you tell you that you're being stupid than it is to have your 1500 facebook "friends" think it and not say anything.

What do you think? Have you noticed more online personal attacks than usual recently?

 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

No comments: