Friday, September 28, 2012

Using Cake Dummies

A dummy with flowers
What do you do when you have a bunch of flowers to make, and you need to figure out where they're going to go on the cake? You go to get your cake dummies out, of course!

People use dummies to make display cakes, obviously, but they're much more useful than that. I use mine to show brides how big their cakes will be, and to help them decide what kind of shape they're looking for.

You can also use dummies to stick toothpicks and wires in when you're drying gumpaste flowers.

I also use them as dressmaker dummies, so to speak, for when I need to figure out how many flowers I'll need for a specific cake.

This was a teeny cake, 4-6-8", and I had to do a vine of red flowers that would wrap around the tiers. I used the dummies to measure the central wire for the vine, then used them to see if the flowers were being wrapped so that they could fan out some and fill in the white space on the cake. I ended up needing a much longer rope than I thought I would, so it was good that I did it this way to test it.


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

3 comments:

Jenniffer said...

This is great advice Kara! I try to keep a dummy of every size in the shop. It helps with situations like this, or even when you're trying to get a bride to visualize her cake!

ChatterBlossom said...

Great idea! That would help a lot for brides!

mtngirl said...

Where do you buy your dummies?