Monday, December 3, 2012

Business Monday: Zones For Storage

A couple of weeks ago I posted photos of my lovely office/storage room/dumping ground and tried to impart how messy it was. The door to the room is narrow, so it's hard to get a good picture, but I think that you could get the idea from it.

So it took me a couple of weeks, between everything else I had to do, but I pretty much got it straightened out. I took a couple of big bags of trash out, and rearranged the shelves into more of a zone system.

The zone system is basically making sure that you keep things that are dedicated to certain tasks in the same zone. That way you know that everything you need for gumpaste is in one area, prepared flowers are in one area, shipping supplies in one area, etc.

So here are some photos:
Starting with the wall near the door, I have bins with gumpaste tools and cutters. Next to that is that shelves with my shipping boxes and some gumpaste supplies.
 
Above the bins is a wall rack that goes up the high part of the ceiling. I store things that I don't use too much up there.
 
 
Next to that is my piping equipment and all the food colorings, color dusts, etc.
 
 
 
Next we have flowers that are already made and stored in bins, and cake boards. More boards are stored overhead.
 
I added some shelves against the window to put things that I've been leaving in my dining room. The problem with having a business at home is the inevitable creep of junk into other rooms of your house, so by doing this I was able to contain it a little. This section also has cake boxes and an area for storing gumpaste flowers and other things while they dry.
 
The other wall has my files with old contracts, personal paperwork, business licenses, press, blah blah blah.
 
So that's my storage area. I pretty much have everything in zones to group things together, and that way it makes it easier to find things when I need them.
 
I can also see the floor now, and while cleaning out I found some good blackmail pictures of my cousin, so that was a bonus.
 
If you have a home cake business and you want to send me photos of your storage or work areas, please do, and I'll feature them in an upcoming post. It's always helpful to see how other people arrange their workspaces.
 
 
Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA




No comments: