Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Oops...Bitter Goes Both Ways

There's been a little explosion of facebook groups, twitter accounts, and blogs that complain about customers lately. I'm not talking about general "why do people think it's okay to do this" kind of stuff, but more of a complaining that gets either specifically personal or just really nasty.

Now, I have to say that I'm all for outing obnoxious behavior, but I don't think you should name names. Pointing out bad behavior as a cautionary tale is one thing, but saying who did it crosses a line. And tone is everything when you do it. It's the difference between being satirical and being a whiny jerk.

Everyone needs to vent to other people who understand what you're going through. I have people I can complain to when I run into something that I think is ridiculous, but I don't post names on facebook, and I don't think that a public blog is the right place to do it.

I know a couple of people who have found their employees' blogs online. Blogs with lots and lots of specific complaints about their jobs, their customers, and their bosses. Guess who got fired? Don't think that posting anonymously will last very long if you make a habit of bashing people online on a regular basis.

What made me think about this is this guy who lost his job when he decided to tweet about how stupid and annoying his customers were.  http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/bitter-barista-fired-blog-brew-132922068--abc-news-topstories.html.  If you do enough of this kind of griping in public word gets around, and you'll eventually draw the attention of the people you're complaining about. Then they'll be the bitter ones, and you'll be the non-hired one.

The same is true if you constantly try to smear other bakers in the name of "competition." People find out about that and it ends up making you look bad to both clients and other businesses. One person used her facebook page as a platform to tell everyone why all other decorators in her area were hacks, and she was the only person worthy of being hired. It was kind of interesting to watch her implode, because that's what happened. It definitely wasn't productive for her business, which she ended up closing.

If you publicly call yourself "bitter" you might want to go look for a line of work that will make you happy. Go relax, have a nice cup of coffee and practice your breathing exercises. Life's too short to be mad all the time.


 Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I was contacted by a caker calling herself The Bitter Baker. She is writing a blog and compiling all of the stories and complaints about cake maker's customers that they send to her.

I checked out the blog and the very first post she put up was about a nasty and annoying customer that used bad grammar. How ironic that The Bitter Baker used terrible grammar to describe said nasty and annoying customer.

The rest of the posts are even worse, with childish name calling and an overall "I am so smart and customers are so stupid" theme to the whole mess. Very, very unprofessional.

I say get over your whiney selves all of you Bitter Bakers and go bake something.

Sheesh.

Kara Buntin said...

Bitter barista, bitter baker...I guess there's a lot of bitter out there. I love that the grammar was lacking in a post about bad grammar, though!