Friday, April 26, 2013

How to Make Gumpaste Raspberries

I did a cake with a ton of gumpaste raspberries on it last week, and someone asked if I used a mold.


 Heck yes I did, that would have been waaaaay too time-consuming otherwise!

Here's a video on how to get the raspberries in and out of the mold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuqaPm01Yow

Here's a link to the molds: Raspberry mold

If you make them in the color that you want you're pretty much done, but I think that dusting them a little will make them look better. If you use white, dust them in the colors that they'll be, and if they're colored already dust them with a little extra color for depth.

Next, cut a calyx. I use the little Wilton cutter with five pointed petals. This is white for demonstration purposes, but if you make them green it's easier.

Thread the calyx onto the wire and flatten it against the raspberry using a little water or gum glue to adhere it.



Next, either steam the raspberry to set the color, or dip it into confectioner's glaze. I like the glaze because it give them a shine.


Tap the berry on a paper towel to get rid of the extra confectioner's glaze, then either hang it or insert the wire in a styrofoam block to dry. Excess glaze can drip down the berry, so make sure to get rid of the extra.

Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

5 comments:

lulubee said...

I LOVE the molds I got from you - use them all the time! I have yet to send you a pic of any of the cakes I've used them for though, I have a slight case of procrastination. I'm thinking this raspberry mold would fit nicely in my collection!

Kara Buntin said...

definitely send photos!

Loving Traditions Cakery LLC said...

Hi Kara:
Should I assume that you have these beautiful raspberrie molds on your sight? I love your blog........you share such great things! No matter how busy I am; I always take time to read yours...
Do you have a photo of a cake you did using raspberries?
Thank you, Debbie

Eva Farragher said...

Hi Kara - are these made with one of your own molds? I love the look of these :-)

Kara Buntin said...

thanks, Eva and Debbie. Those were made with my raspberry mold, the link is here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/129966437/silicone-raspberry-mold-for-gumpaste