Wednesday, May 8, 2013

You're Not An Artist If You Only Use Tappits

Yeah, I said it. This is my cranky vent for the week...I'm tired of hearing people refer to themselves as a "sugar artist," then looking at photos of their cakes and seeing a bunch of basic birthday cakes with letters cut out of fondant stuck on them.

Maybe it's an attempt to give yourself more gravitas as a business, since we all know that people don't take baking as a business seriously. I don't know what they think we do all day, but if I have to hear one more person say "Oh that's so much FUN!" when I tell them that I do wedding cakes, I will gag. Referring to yourself as an artist might make you feel like people will take you more seriously, or it might make you feel more important to yourself. I don't know...I just can't bring myself to call myself an artist when I'm filling an order using a skill. That's craft, not art.

I wrote about this same thing last year, but it's been bothering me lately...here's the original article, let me know what you think: http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2012/01/art-vs-craftapparently-ongoing-debate.html


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

5 comments:

Eva Farragher said...

Its funny, I had this same exact cranky thought just a week or two. Now, while I could blame PMS, there is no denying that there is a vast proliferation of the cake equivalent of scrapbooking going on out there.

Cut...and...stick..!

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Agreed! Everyone refers to themselves as a Cake Artist now and it has grown to be one of my serious pet peeves.

Anna said...

Am I the only one that thinks cake decorators should be able to make a decent buttercream rose? I practiced for years, and am very proud of mine.

Morgan Champagne said...

Swimming is fun, shopping is fun. This is my job. I do love what I do, but with any job..its not laughs and giggles all the time. I love this blog!!!

Jo Ann said...

My husband is a sculptor, and I make wedding cakes. He says I am a zen artist, because my art gets consumed.