Monday, July 29, 2013

Craftsy Class Review: Rolled Fondant Flowers

Craftsy LogoThis class covers the basics of making flowers from fondant using fabric techniques. It's taught by Gary Chapman, who claims to have "invented" the fabric flower technique on cakes.

Now let me say first off that I always get a little ruffled for the people who probably made fabric flowers out of fondant before he came along and"invented" it, so I went into watching this with a bad attitude. Also, I was going to review the car cake class, but Craftsy is fouling up and it won't play on my computers, so that didn't help.

Seriously, how hard is it to think about rolling fondant or gumpaste up like fabric and making a flower? Fabric effects on fondant aren't new, but hey, maybe he was the first person to have a platform to show that he knew how to do it, so he can say he invented it. It still irks me when someone takes something that's a common technique in other media and says that they invented something. No, you didn't, you adapted it for use in a different medium, and you probably weren't the first person to think of it.

So now that I got that off of my chest, let's move along to the class review. This class was very beginner-friendly in that there wasn't a lot of technical expertise necessary. It doesn't take a lot of equipment to make a fabric flower, so there isn't a lot of stuff that you have to buy to do this. The result of these techniques are millinery-style flowers that are definitely on the whimsical side of cake decorating.

It was also a very short class, since again, there wasn't a lot to it. He showed how to make a basic rose, some flowers with petals, leaves, etc. he also showed how to put two pieces of different color fondant together to make a two-tone petal. I'm refraining from making a remark here but it isn't that hard to figure out. I believe I wrote about this on my blog before...oh yes, here it is. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2010/11/two-tone-candy-clay-leaves.html  Oh yeah, and here's a video about doing that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpEP-sQGAVI

So anyway, not brain surgery, but if you're a total beginner and need to see this kind of thing demonstrated then have at it.

So here's my final review:
Skill Level: Beginner to Super-Noob
Equipment You Have To Have: rolling pin, knife and toothpicks, fondant and gumpaste, dowels.
Sleep-Inducing Level: Not bad but it's a short class.
What It Assumes You Already Know: Nothing.
Unnecessary Difficulty Level Of Methods Demonstrated: It was all pretty straightforward.
Annoying Host Habits: Nothing much. I give him credit for not pandering to Americans by referring to "toothpicks" as that, and using the UK "cocktail sticks" throughout. My British Grandmother hated toothpicks because the concept of picking your teeth with them is so nasty. She once almost had a heart attack when she thought that I had toothpicks in my house, but I told her that I didn't so she calmed down. "Cocktail stick" is much more refined.
Level of Helpful Hints Learned: Very basic stuff. If you're a gumpaste or fondant beginner and need to learn some techniques that you don't need a lot of cutters etc to do, this is a good one to start with.


Buy this on sale only and only if you're a beginner, otherwise you'll be mad. But Craftsy does have a 30-day money back guarantee, so keep that in mind!


Click here for my Craftsy pattern shop, which has a bunch of freebies in it: A Cake To Remember On Craftsy


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

1 comment:

Eleanor said...

Love your Craftsy reviews. They have saved me time and money!