Thursday, September 19, 2013

Vendors Demanding Cake

No, this is not for you.
A friend of mine who also does cakes keeps having a strange experience with different wedding vendors, and she asked me to write about it. Since I thought this was totally bizarre, I said of course I would!

What keeps happening to her is that other wedding vendors keep telling her that she needs to give them free cake. Considering that bakers, as far as I know, don't go around telling caterers that they HAVE to give us free food, or photographers that they HAVE to give us free framed photos, I'm not sure where these people are coming up with the necessity of free cake.

Back to my friend...She was at a wedding show and had run out of samples. Another vendor came over and started giving her a tongue-lashing about how she should have had samples for all of the vendors there, since they NEED to eat cake. She basically gave her a lecture about how vendors need to be fed for free and it's always expected that the bakers at shows will do it.

So after being irritated enough about having to deal with little miss give-me-cake, my friend then went to a meeting of wedding professionals the following week. While she was there another vendor told her that she needed to start making a boxed cupcake for the other vendors at the wedding, including vendors who were there before the reception, apparently. When my friend asked why she would do that, this person replied "Well, you need to take care of your vendors!"

Huh? Well, aside from the fact that you're not MY vendors, I never realized that the vendors were SUPPOSED to be eating the cake that the bride bought for her guests. Or that it was the responsibility of vendors to make doggy bags for the other vendors, especially if they were there before the reception started, like the officiant, the hair and makeup people, the florist, or the rental delivery guy. It's interesting how I've never had the caterer rush up to me with a bag of food to take home after I set the cake up, I've been missing out!

I can see how someone who's actually WORKING at the reception, like the photographer, DJ or videographer, would arrange with the bride ahead of time to have some kind of meal provided if they're working all day, even if it's just a sandwich. But it isn't the job of the baker to make sure they get cake. And if a baker runs out of samples at a wedding show they shouldn't get a lecture from other vendors for running out before they can shove cake down their pie-holes. Or their cake-holes, as the case may be.

So if you're a vendor, try to make other people's jobs easier, not more difficult. Don't give other professionals a hard time because they don't hand out freebies and extras to you. If you do get a piece of cake, that's what it is, an extra. Just take it and say thank you.

You're welcome.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

5 comments:

Zoraya said...

I have never heard of such a thing. Its ridiculous and they are full of themselves!

Zoraya said...

I have never heard of such a thing. Its ridiculous and they are full of themselves!

Eva Farragher said...

Never had this expectation put upon me. If my clients wish to feed the world with their wedding cake/cupcakes, they are more than welcome to order more cake to accommodate them (ie, pay for it!)

I've had onlookers (at a public yacht club where I was setting up) watch me put up a cupcake tower and then offer me money for a cupcake ("come on! you MUST have spares just in case!") but that was only semi-serious.

But...I DID have a "situation" at a wedding expo I attended as a less-experienced vendor (ie it was my first expo/fair). I had ALL vendors take my cake samples. Some were nice - actually had a chat to me, or asked me for a taste as "the samples looked amazing" and so on. But there was one AWFUL DJ/music outfit there, with an older pair of owners and their three or four apparently inbred sons (think Deliverance, with cake) and they kept coming to my stand and STEALING plates of cake samples, then scooting off to eat them in a lounge area (which was in my line of sight). I mean, that old witch probably took...seven? eight? of my generous cake sample plates and shared them around her entire large group! She would sidle up, and when I was talking to a bride she would grab a plate sample from the three or four I had lined up on my side of the table ready to go, and run off without a word or glance at me.

Then, as I was packing up to leave, she and her idiot husband/partner sidled up to my table, saw there was no more cake to steal, and said (the first words to me all day, I swear)- "It looked like you had banana cake samples...we didn't get any banana cake", and then looked at me for another free handout. As the place was almost empty, and I had no intention of EVER passing on this DJ's info to any bride or groom as a recommendation (except maybe who NOT to hire), I looked at them square in the eye and said, "I think you've had enough cake".

The hide of some people!

Kara Buntin said...

Eva, that's the best response I've heard. I did one show at a store where the employees kept taking cake. One more reason why I don't do wedding shows anymore!

Eva Farragher said...

Nor do I, Kara. Too much unnecessary hard work.